1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An example of playing behind the beat and on top at the same groove..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Listen to the chorus!!
    At 0:54
    Isn`t he playing dead, and those chords he anticipate behind the beat??
    I listen those chords that changes on the 4+ more lazy than those that lay on 1..

I am right?????
    This is from a session guy of Argentina his name is Guillermo Vadala one of the best bass players of soputh america.

I think it is a very simple line, but a very good example of how to groove those straight 8ths...What do you think??

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are you talking about the chord changes on the 4+ instead of the 1?

3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    He is "leading" the chord. That's very common phrasing in jazz. Sting did lots of "leading the chord" stuff on the 1st and 2nd Police album.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    OP, if that's what you're talking about, that's where the chord changes. Notice how the guitar is doing the same thing?

Playing "behind" the beat and "ahead" of the beat is a rhythmic thing. It describes where the notes fall relative to the tempo pulses, not when the chord changes.

5. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Exactly.

The 2nd, 4th and 6th chord changes are simply 'pushed' or anticipated by an eighth note - nothing spectacular or ground-breaking.

The kick drum even 'pushes' the 4th chord change. :eek:

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you wanna hear what playing "behind the beat" sounds like, check out the drumming on this one.

7. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I`ve noticed the anticipation, however I was not refering to that.. I am refering to the feel of what he is playing..the rhytmic thing, first behind and then on top of the beat at the next chord. Can you listen it?

8. nazroth

nazroth

Apr 11, 2005
    tulsa oklahoma
    354 stage light& sound
    I cant listen it ?

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan

Actually that's an example of balls on dead center of the beat playing. But the natural tendency at that tempo is the rush and you can feel everyone wanting to move it but being held back by Bonzo's tenacious groove.

To the OP, that's called anticipating the beat. Playing on top or behind the beat is a completely different thing.

10. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Yeah, this is most absolutely not an example of playing behind the beat, not by a long shot.

11. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Geddy plays a little on top. Roger Waters plays a little behind. In general, a bassist should try to be dead center.

It all depends on the drummer.

In Iron Maiden for example (when they had only 2 guitarists, at least) they ALL sound like they're on the edge but the time is dead on. THAT is a special kind of groove.

12. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I am not talking about leading the chord or anticipating....IMO it is clear he plays on top laying foward on those chords he anticipate of the chorus...He anticipate the chords and lay foward, I feel it...but I am not so experiencie
    I think everyone that`ve answered here was refering to the anticipation, I know he is anticipating to the chord as well the guitar, but he also plays on top in those chords in all the measure..A different feel than those chords that donpt anticipate of the chorus...sory for my bad english

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i think he's on the beat dead on personally.

14. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    On both chords??
    It seems in the chords he anticipate he plays more on top..or dead center when he anticipate and behind on the other chords.

15. I hear what you mean. He does play slightly off on some of those 1's on the chorus. Works very nicely...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i think that's an illusion based on him coming in on the next chord on the and of 4 instead of the 1. i think you may feel like it sounds rushed at that part and then gets behind the beat by comparison. but that style of rock almost always has the bass on the beat. i don't know, i might have heard it wrong, but that's how i hear it, bro.

17. It is hard to tell. There's something going on there...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    he's not off on them...he's not playing them. he's hitting the chord change on the and of 4 and skipping the 1. that gives the illusion that he's behind the beat.

19. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    He's playing straight down the middle. Not ahead or behind at all and thats a fact.

20. Maybe it's a matter of semantics: Hitting on the and of the 4 and skipping the 1, or, behind the beat...

Whatever. I;m Listening to Blossom Dearie doing "They Say it's Spring". Much better anyway...