Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An experiment. of sorts :/

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm not the best bass player, I've only been playing music for 6 months or so and I havn't gotten into my bass seriously untill about a month or two ago. So, I'm not sure if I would be good to do this, maybe a more experienced bass player would like to give this a try?

I'm super tired, I havn't slept in 2 days, so none of this will probably make sense. I want to see if listening to creative music really does inspire and influence people into better musicians. So here's what I want to do, or you can try yourself.

Listen to an hour of creative players. It dosn't matter, it can be Jaco, Flea, Geddy Lee, Claypool, whoever you like. Bass or whatever, just listen to some good ol fashion talented music. If they are innovative, good. You can listen to anything that's flowing and creative, anything from Classical music to indie instrumental math rock. What we don't want you listening to is the Sex Pistols, Most Punk Bands, Nu-Metal or Hair Bands etc etc.

Okay, and after you listen to the straight hour of that stuff, start jammin' on your bass. See what lines you can come up with, see if you are feeling more creative or like a better player. Write it all down.

*Okay, now you get to do the hard part! If you are even doing this, heh. Which you probably arn't, as it's all retarded. Listen to an hour of crap. Download all the crap that has little or no music structure. Download all the MTV bull**** you can, fill up on rap metal. Whatever you hate, or anything you just despise and think is tasteless. I can't really dig in, but you get the drift. If you think it sucks, you're gonna play it. Also, even if you do think it's good, it might suck. Listen to alot of punk, lol :p

*Bands and types of music here are pureley, uhh for research or something. I listen to 70% punk and even I know that most of it is simple.

Okay, now jam on your bass and see if you are feeling less creative or whatever. Basically, repeat the first step except see if you feel like less of a bass player. Or something.

This could all be better explained, but I am spacing out. I really just want to see if musical tastes actually = good bass playing. Could somone raised soley with Pop music and hair bands become a better bass player than somone brought up with creepy music freak parents who blast out thier instrumental jive?

Opinions or whatever, I'll probably end up re-writing this.