Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An extra $300 on sex appeal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geej, Sep 17, 2005.

1. hmmmm... I'm in quite a predicament... I'm gonna start saving up for a fender jazz... I'm probably gonna get a CIJ one, either 62 RI or 75RI im not too bothered... but what I am hung up on is this

The 62RI is about $300 (AUD) cheaper... but the particular 75RI im considering is so damn sexy! check it out:

62RI
    [​IMG]

vs

75RI with matching headstocks and block inlay on rosewood board :cool:
    [​IMG]

Im thinkin about the green one... oh its so awesome!

What do you guys think... an extra $300 for that awesome look or what? what would you do?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Be happy with what you buy. If you like the more expensive one because it looks better, and you can afford it without resorting to mugging little old ladies, then get it. Who cares what anyone else thinks about how your bass looks?

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Can u tell me whats the URL of that web, im interested in that CAR if it isnt that much spensive.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Block inlays and binding have to be the single most sexy Jazz bass option. Go with the '75, I played a natural finish one with black block inlays and binding, it had the pickup and bridge covers off which reduced the looks slightly but made it more flexible to play. All in all it was the single nicest Jazz bass I have ever played, it was also one of the loudest solid body basses I have ever heard without an amp (good acoustic sound is always a good sign), when you gave it an amp it was just pure J Bass bliss.

Oh just one thing, the one I played was an American '75 J bass not a Japaneese '75 RI, never played an MIJ Fender but have heard good things. The MIA one is not cheap though, sells for circa $1,500 USD.

5. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    ^ Agreed. Natural Ash body, maple fretboard, black blocks and black binding. Oh so sexy.

6. your asking for the URL where i found those basses? (sorry, bit hard to understand that post)

Its a site in japanese:
    Um, this one

And yea... block inlays rock... I had gas for a maple neck with black blocks and binding... but then I saw the rosewood with pearl blocks... its absolutely stunning

7. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I've had my eye on that green one for a while. That is a damn sexy bass and worth the extra $ IMO.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well,

You're paying for the block inlays and the matching headstock. I think $300 bucks is worth it for those options...Have you ever priced those things out with a 'regular' luthier? You'd find they're gonna cost you a LOT more than $300.

If that's the one you want, and if you buy the 62 and aren't gonna be happy with it, spend the extra cash.

Both basses have their own feel and vibe.

10. Oh, yea, id never thought about it that way, thanks for the tip :smug:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The money is worth it, to me, they look so great.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Go for it! That green one with matching headstock and blocks is really nice. Werent the matching headstock and blocks models around 64?

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yup. There's nothing RI about matching headstocks on 70's Fenders, unless it was a custom job. They did do some in the 60's though.

14. MAJOR METAL

That Candy Apple Red with Matching Headstock, blocks and Binding is so classic. :bassist:

15. Yea, well from a few of the threads I've read... theres nothing particularly RI about any japan fender... not that i care :p

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi

just might wanna consider that ever with a rosewood board the ash vs alder basses will sound a bit different.

and the 70's one might have a slightly fatter neck???

i have a cij 62 and i had a cij75 for a very short period of time (that was ash/maple though) i prefered the 62.

those matching headstock ones look rockin though!

17. yea, i've actually played some 62's and 75 RI's... mainly of my friends and stuff... I wasn't too picky on the tone... both were great, so really the 75 wins out because of its looks... but yea, both have an awesome sound

18. MAJOR METAL

Anyone know what the 75 RI are selling for in the USA?

19. thats what he says... i don't know personally

EDIT: i looked on harmony central... most people pick,ed up their MIA 75's for 1200-1300 (USD) and MIJ 75's for 600-700 (USD)

20. You know, if you don't care about the SOUND, then buy whatever you think LOOKS good. If you're serious about playing, then get the one that has the tone you like and then pick the best of that lot.

IMHO.