Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An historic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey guys,
    Thought you might like a few pics, haven’t done this in a while. Judging greatness is often folly but there are always a few names that keep rising to the top in my mind, Bach, Hendrix, Bird and few others. The fact that this bass was played behind Charlie Parker gave it an extra cool factor for me. But in learning about this bass I also belatedly opened up my ears to some music that I probably should have heard along time ago. This is a nice French bass made in the late 1800’s and it was owned by the late great Roberto “Bobby” Rodriquez who was the bassist for Machito and Tito Puente among scores of others. He played on the South of the Border Bird recordings. Great stuff but I never took a leap passed that until by the grace of the bass’s current owner Ruben Rodriquez [no relation] I got to hear some amazing music for the first time. Ruben was kind enough to give me two cd’s-Bobby with the Alegre All Stars and Tito Puente’s Dancemania. Wowee-wow-wow! I haven’t been able to get this stuff off my cd player. This music forces you to move and feel great! A perfect antidote to dreary winter weather. Anyway this probably should be in the Recordings section but I couldn’t help comment on this music while posting these bass pics. The bass sounds amazing by the way, Ruben has it set for low action but the bass is able to produce tone and volume with a light touch. Killer.

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Here's the back.

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The scroll, typical French notice the vertical slender profile.

Attached Files:

4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Now here's an identifying mark. Normally this would be frowned upon but in Mr. Rodriqez's case I think we can just say this contributes to the history and worth of the bass.

Attached Files:

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    PFC!

I have had the chance over time to play one of Ray Brown's basses as well as Mingus' lion-headed little German bass. Pretty neat to have a piece of history in your hands, idnit?

6. Does anybody know any details about the Mingus bass. I didn't even know it was German. All the views of the head that i've seen are straight on. Does anybody have any side views of that head?
    Jeff, was the Rodriguez bass in your shop for repairs? What's the string length on that one?
    I bet you put the Irving Sloane machines on it?

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Jeff, Very cool. It ;s nice to be able to play and study an historic bass.

thanks for sharing.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    WOW :eek: that bass is very nice!

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No other info, other than my review. Very cool little bass, got to play it for a few tunes at the Late Night Blue Note Jam Session (RIP, now they have a CD/Dance party late on friday and Saturdays!). Boris Kaslov has it, or had it, by virtue of being the bassist with the Mingus Dynasty band. He told me it was German, and it looked German to me, so I didn't press it. :)

10. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I just bought a bass that used to be from Jimmy Rowser (alot of recordings done with this bass).
    I am pretty happy with It

11. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

I remember Andy McKee sharing some info about he bass when he had made a few posts here some months ago - but last I searched, the posts are gone. I think he said the bass is small, like 40 1/2" string length....though I could be wrong - anyone?

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It's a small, fast bass. Bigger than a 5/8, but plays like a bass that small.

14. Makes you wish that everyone that owned a bass through the years would write up a brief history-wad it up and toss it in the body. :bag: :D

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Mingus' bass would have to come with one of those "Parental Advisory" stickers on the front.

16. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Hey Jeff, that's a NICE bass!!! LOL Thanks for the great set-up! I'm probably going to see you soon for my (Ampeg) baby bass.

Regards,
    R

17. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey Ruben! Welcome to TalkBass-great to see you posting

18. Nice Bass Jeff, I'll bet it was fun to work on. There always is a little magic in basses that were played in by the cats !!!
    I believe that Mingus bass is a Roth w. the Lions head/scroll and I believe I read somewhere it was made in the 50's. German of course... and yes it looks a little smaller than your typical factory 3/4 sized bass from that era.More Magic please,,,,

19. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    heres a few of mine and it sounds sweet as a nut!! :hyper:

check the retro fitted tuning pegs on the head

Dodge

Attached Files:

20. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    heres the back - its flat and note how it is cut in at the top.

any further info about this bass would be ace!

Dodge