Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Historical Dilemma...Where would you have gone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Stumbled upon this while surfing the web for Scott LaFaro info. Here's what was listed in The New Yorker's "Goings On About Town" jazz listings. I was only about six weeks old, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have had a serious problem deciding where to go for the hang. What would you have done?

"Goings on About Town" from The New Yorker, 12 March 1960:

Arpeggio, 144 E 52 St -- Ernestine Anderson
    Basin St. East, 137 E 48 St -- Peggy Lee ; Ray Bryant 3
    Birdland, 1678 B'way at 52 St -- Count Basie ; Bill Evans 3
    Eddie Condon's 330 E 56 St -- Buck Clayton, Mousie Alexander
    Five Spot, 5 Cooper Sq -- Kenny Dorham 5 ; Roy Haynes 3
    Half Note, 289 Hudson St -- Lennie Tristano 5
    Hickory House, 144 W 52 St -- D. Mitchell / W. Ruff 2
    Jazz Gallery, 80 St. Mark's Pl -- Horace Silver 5 ; Max Roach 5
    Jimmy Ryan's, 53 W 52 St -- Wilbur and Sidney de Paris
    Metropole, 7th Ave S at 48 St -- Dizzy Gillespie 5 ; Red Allen 6
    Showplace, 146 W. 4 St -- Charles Mingus 5
    Village Gate, 185 Thompson St -- H. Belafonte Folk Singers
    Village Vanguard 178 Seventh Ave S -- Miriam Makeba

:eek:

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I would have been about 10 at that time, so too young to get into the various clubs (which I surely would have done were I older). But I remember running around NYC in those days. My grandmother lived in New Jersey (she had been a Rockettes-style dancer in the 20s in NYC) and we used to run around the city. Definitely different than today. A lot more lively, and a lot more retail action on the street. It was a fun city, and unfortunately is today only a shadow of what it was in the 50s and 60s.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    well, i wasnt born yet, but i definately would have had to go to birdland, although you couldnt go wrong with any of that... i'd need to see the bill evans trio though..(and throw in basie to boot! some serious swinging.. )

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Just goes to show that at one time it WAS a jazz festival every night.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It would have been very difficult, but I think on personal preference and value for money, it would have been :

"Jazz Gallery, 80 St. Mark's Pl -- Horace Silver 5 ; Max Roach 5"

I'm torn with seeing Mingus - but I think it might have been too 'frightening'....? ;)

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Mingus...

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My first choice would have been Mingus, but Lennie Tristano would be right up there. Any one of 'em would be fine.

Great post & thread; thanks.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The great thing about the Aulden Times is that most of these gigs were long running. Lennie was at the Half Note for about 5 months straight, Hickory House was a long running gig (Marianne McPartland was able to go through about 20 bass players in her tenure there), likewise Birdland, the Five Spot, the Metropole...

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    So true...usually a week minimum to two weeks for the cats touring the country, then there were the long-running gigs as you point out.

Let's see if we can list as many of the bass players as we can that would've been on those gigs. Of course Mingus, and LaFaro was with Bill Evans. I'm gonna do some Googlin' to see who else I can confirm.

Any you know for sure Ed?

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT