Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Honor of a Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I live and play here about an hour north of West Palm Beach (we're about 2 hours north of Miami). Nothing too special usually occurs around here except three hurricanes in the last 13 months.

But tonight, my band played for the retirement party of legendary singer Carl Gardner. He's the founder and lead singer of The Coasters. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987! Yes, Carl lives locally with his lovely wife Veta. She asked us to play early in the evening before Carl's contemporaries sang. We were well received by Carl and Veta as well as The Flamingos (I Only Have Eyes For You), The Crystals (Rescue Me) and of course The Coasters (Charlie Brown, Yakety Yak, and Poison Ivy). I really am into more of the later rock and roll of the 60s-80s, but this was a real treat to see these people perform. It was an honor to play for them too. They just couldn't have been more pleasant than they were.

On a side note the promoter for the Drifters asked for our card. We'll see what happens. We play classic rock, Motown and R&B so our stuff fits in pretty well with what went down tonight. Oh yeah. Bowzer from Sha, Na, Na was there too. He MCed the evening and did a great job doing it too.

Just a real fun night.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Carl's a great guy and I hope he comes out of retirement now and then for some fun. I work a lot with one of their singers up here in Orlando and he does a lot of killer 70's funk and soul. Good bunch of guys, those Coasters, and btw, I just want to point out that they're the ONLY Coasters with a legit claim to the name. Glad you had a good time...

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Yeah. That was brought up a few times. Carl has lived through throat cancer and a stroke, so his doctors are telling him to retire. This was the first party they've thrown where he didn't sing. But his son, Carl Gardner Jr., will be taking his place from now on. He sounds just like Carl.