Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An idea for the Forum...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, May 8, 2004.

1. To begin, I think this little corner of the TB world (Luthiers) is one of the best this site has to offer. Aside from the help given by the occasional top pro, this resource benefits greatly from the contributions of the small builders like SK, FBB, Kahuna, JP, and the host of others that frequent here. The funny thing though is that this forum hasn't turned out to be what Paul envisioned IMO. I think that he was expecting much more participation by the top pros and that was to be the draw for the section. Of course, it is perfectly understandable that busy builders with larger operations are not going to have the time to offer to us here like we would enjoy. And my hats off to those that do make the time to visit especially Ken Smith, who seems to be the most consistent. Gosh, if we handpicked a top pro to visit this forum, we wouldn't find anyone with a better reputation. In the absence of the masters, I really like how the forum thrives on the input of the small guys. And, in a way, I think this makes us a better resource for information that is likely to be useful to our readers. The things we talk about are exactly the things that we small builders and serious hobbyists have questions about. Our scale of operations sort of link us together. Where a pro might walk over to one of 3 spindle sanders to make a contour, we trade ideas on how to make the same contour with a handheld grinder. A Ken Smith or a Heiko Hopfinger could pull together the proper woods for a stunning bass - and probably do it blindfolded while we ask questions like "Just what the hell IS Acacia?" :) It's just an example but you get my drift I hope. We help each other on our own level and we have enough talent and experience to get, not only different opinions, but good reliable information.

To that end, I want to propose a new feature to be added here in Luthiers. I want to post a sticky that contains a series of shop tips and tricks as a reference for everyone here to see. The model for my idea is a series of books I got way back when I ran my own design studio. It was called "Studio tips for Graphic Artists". It was the cleverest book I'd read. It was a compilation of the neatest, most obsure little tricks to accomplish all sorts of things on the drawing table. Need to know how to draw a circle through 3 known points? How do you draw an ellipse with out a template? It had all of this stuff and since this was before the major takeover of graphic design by computers, this info was invaluable. So I want to do the same thing here in Luthiers. What I envision is a thread where each post is a seperate focused tip, trick, or explanation describing the little things that we've conjured to make our shop lives easier. There won't be discussion because I want to keep this limited to a concise resource. It will help put lots of info at the top for a quick reference and eventually, it will be large enough to be an incredible, downloadable resource for all of us. Subjects could be anything but I want to keep the posts in a consistent format for doing an easy search. That would include making sure that key words are used in the titles like "Selecting Neck Wood" rather than something generic like "Wood". Eventually, we'll have a one-stop resource that will prove valuable, even to the more experienced TB'er

So what do you think?

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Sounds good, after a while it could really become a guide on how to make a bass. People are always asking for books and such, and I imagine that this over time could evolve to that point.

3. That's the idea! I think that illustrations, photos, and diagrams should be encouraged. I'd be willing to help if someone needs such and if we ask Fred real nice, he might pitch in one of his creations. I envision it becoming a real draw for the Forum and that can only create more success for TB and Paul.

Let's hear some more!

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    LMAO !:D

Heiko selecting wood for a bass!! that's too funny, I'm forwarding him this post ! lol he's gonna laugh.

j/k

Seriously though. Nice idea Hambone. Remember the thread I posted a year ago or more with all the process to make a JP Bass. It had much succes and has been used on bunnybass too. The thing is it's all gone now and as it took A LOT of time to shoot pics and write comment, I'm not ready to do it again. Now I'm ok to contribute here ;)

Peace;
    JP

5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Excellent idea. The really cool thing about the small luthier community is that almost everyone is willing to share tips and help each other out. I know that my supporting member donation is awfully freaking cheap tuition for everything I've learned thru this site in the last year, and I am personally very grateful.

I'd bet that a fairly impressive amount of material has already been written and archived in this forum, which could be fairly easy to condense into more concise form with a simple search-cut-paste-post.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    damn, there goes my book deal!

:p

f

7. I hadn't thought of that. In all actuality, the project already has legs if we can cull the info out of archived stuff. We should look back at our own stuff for things we posted and then line 'em up.

Gotta remember though that each post will be locked (after appropriate time for editing :p ) so make the subject and prose very limited in scope. Not that you can't cover a subject completely but try not to get into pre-processes and post-processes.

I'm going to make a sample in a few...

8. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    While that is true, I think that photos of the varius processes should be included as much as possable. It will make it much easier for people who are not quite as familiar with wood working of luthery.

9. Sample is up on top

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Superb idea, Sir!

Just one thing... If you leave it open for us to post, it might get sort of...bushy. Branches going everywhere, far out of control.
    So, my thought was that the moderator of this forum would be reciever of such tips, and add them to the sticky.

A bit "formal" and a bit more work for the mod, but the result would probably be more easy to use.

11. Your probably right. Even with the "No Discussion" rule in place, it could get busy. I don't want to have to remove a bunch of posts to keep things cogent.

12. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    this sounds like a great idea. because i could definately use some help with some things. im sure people in my position would really appreciate it

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i could create some diagrams/drawings showing critical features with dimensions.

i've learned a lot over the last few years. small detail stuff i had never considered before creating full blown 3D databases for production.

one idea i've had was to create a rotating fabrication/assembly jig/fixture that would make producing non-cnc guitars near fool proof.

not sure if i'd "share" that yet, as i'm trying angle some sort of "living" out of all this 3D crap.

f

14. Lets keep this simple to begin with. Just tips for tools, matierals, or different processes in the shop. Sharing larger, more complex idea's might be better a little later on when the shape of the project is more apparent.

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    aye aye Cap'n!

:)

f

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ham, great idea!

17. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    So, is there a plan? Do we just post away to the test thread?

18. No, no plan other than me setting up the post and managing it to keep it tight.

I'm gonna get to that either this evening or tomorrow.