Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An idea I need an opinion for

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by By-Tor, Feb 25, 2003.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an old Squire bass (first bass) that I would like to plane the top 1/4 off and add a nice wood top such as quilt maple.

Is there any luthiers out ther that could do this and how much would it cost.

I know this is a lot for such a cheap bass, but it has sentimental value. The bass also has a Warmoth neck which cost twice as the bass itself.
    It is a pretty decent bass. It already has been stripped down to the bare wood.

Any takers or comments?

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    have you also replaced all of the hardware, pickups, knobs, etc? :D

It could easily be done, but it is the price factor that might make it better to get her a warmoth body....

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have replaced the bridge with a Schaller bridge, the neck is a nice Warmoth neck, maple with an ebony fretboard and ablaone dot inlays. The pu is an old Carvin pu. Even the knobs were changed to black chrome knobs.

The body has been stripped down to bare wood.
    It's a pretty cool bass.
    I know it's alot for such a cheap bass. but it does sound and play good. It has a pretty cool slap tone.
    I have several other basses such as a GT-7, Kubiki and a Geddy Lee Sig Jazz. So it's not like I need a "better" bass.

It's not really about a money issue. I kinda really want to do it.

I just need some feedback from someone who can do it.

If I get a Warmoth body I would just build me another bass.