An idea of mine.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markdezy, Jan 30, 2004.

Would you buy one?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2004.
  1. Yes.

9 vote(s)
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
  1. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Ok, I've been drawing basses lately, and I was wondering if this was a good idea.

So, I start a business that makes basses. Here's the catch, We'll make ANY design of bass for you, custom. So you would send in a drawing or come to the shop and sketch out a bass together, and I would make it. Any number of strings. Any kind of wood. You know, sky's the limit. That sorda stuff.

So Vote now!

Keep in mind that the basses would be high quality and would be not priced insanely.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are you an experienced luthier?
  3. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    As I said in the first post, I am not actually doing this now (im only 16). Just your opinion on the idea.

But for fun's sake, yes...I am a great luthier.
  4. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    There's already a place like that semi-locally. good idea, tho..
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, several luthiers already offer this option, like Dave Pushic and Stambaugh-even Wishnevsky to some degree. The results are usually very mixed, depending on the luthier's execution of the design and the bassist's ability to create a functional design.
  6. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Hmm. Although I'm only 16 now, I'm going to see if this works over the summer (i think) and build one of the ones that I have been sketching.

I hope it turns out well.
  7. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I'd build several basses for yourself before considering building them for others. The last thing you want to do is to charge people for inferior or incomplete product. Remember, when I was sixteen and had a business problem, I didn't take the guy to court; I took him out in the alley.

The totally custom part is also troublesome. Without fairly extensive experience, you won't have a good sense for what works and what doesn't. That means people could come to you with totally ridiculous ideas, which you'd happily attempt to build, and then they'd be dissatisfied. Guess who they'd blame - you or them?

Personally, I think you'd do better to make a couple basses and sell them than to try to work on consignment. If you want to go consignment, design a body style or two as your standard models, prototype them to make sure they work, refine what you can, then offer them with options you know you can handle, such as a selection of J-style pickups or something similarly interchangeable.

Good luck if you start up with this!
  8. this reminds me of a jolly old fun timey story.

i was playing bass for one of my friends brothers. he, of course, broke something in my room. i said " watch out punk, u dont want to have to buy me a new bass", in a little more colorful language and he said "how much was it" i replied "3400 bucks" (it was an upright bass) and he said " i could build one of these, so i challenged him to it.

becasue he was so young and naive, he didn't ask for something if he did manage to build a bass, but about a week later he came over to my house in the middle of the night, and shoved a piece of cardboard with duct tape and a whole load of crud everywhere. i said " what is this piece of s***" and he replied " its a f****** bass"

what crazy kids we were back then.
  9. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Yup, In my mind, i wouldnt even consider doing this until I go to a school for building guitars or something.

And to mslatter, you have some good ideas. I'm going to see if I can scrape together the money to build a bass this summer...more lawn mowing for me. :meh: