An Idea to Help Everyone Find a Guitar More Easily in the For Sale Section

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by FeverPitch, May 29, 2012.

1. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Working on a way to help other forum members find the guitar they're looking for or just browse what's available in the classifieds section. I work on it during my spare time (web developer by trade) so it's still a little rough, but check it out and let me know how to improve it and I'll incorporate the suggestions?

Guitar Pluck ( http://www.guitarpluck.com )

I'm working on location filtering now...but definitely everything is still a work in progress.

On the left-side, just have 'TalkBass' checked to search the forum (under the 'Sites' section).

2. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks a bunch, great site man! I never really liked looking through the TB classifieds (call me lazy), but this is really cool and easy.

3. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    very nice - very handy.
    What i'd like to see is an ability to do a "saved search" on Talkbass that would be linked to an alert - i.e., anytime that item pops up I would receive an email alert (kind of like the way eBay does it). That doesn't already exist on TB, does it?

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    You can subscribe to the thread in the "thread tools" link. Not sure how they notify you of updates, since I haven't used it.

5. There's a problem with the Db search and I'm not sure how you could work around it. When an instrument is sold, the listing remains in the forum. I just picked a few random TB items in your search and it is picking up the sold items. The sold item listings are retained so we know the approximate price a buyer paid for it. Sometimes the person will close a sale thread, and sometimes they forget.

Edit: Just an idea, but maybe you can set the search to ignore a thread if it contains "SOLD"

6. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Wow, I really appreciate the positive feedback!

Awesome suggestion and one that I think really needs to be incorporated too. I'll add it to my to-do list. Might take 2 weeks to finish a couple of the other items plus the alerts, but I'll get it done. :)

Thanks again!

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

Problem with that is that often a seller will list multiple items in a thread, sell one and mark it "sold". SE will think all the items are sold. Or the ad (or a reply) may have text with the word "sold" that would be taken out of context. Like, "Is this sold yet?"
    Sellers could facilitate the use of a smart search engine by following protocols like closing threads when items sell.

8. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Definitely good to know, I'm going to add 'sold' as an exclusion for new items added/updated (I currently have 'wtb' and 'wanted'), but will start to think of other ways to improve this. I know how much it sucks to finally find the grail only to find out it's sold. Thanks for taking the time to check out the site and come back with helpful ways to improve it.!

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I like that one can search multiple forums with this ...

10. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    right - you can subscribe to a particular thread, and receive email notice of updates. I've done that. It's a nice feature

But I'm talking about doing a search for, say, "Tony Franklin," and every time that shows up in the classifieds, you'd receive an email alert - or possibly you could link it to a text notification. That way you'd be less likely to miss out when something you've been looking for pops up.

11. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Straight genius response :) I'll try to take these conditions into account too and agree 100% that protocols on for sale threads would really help out. In the meantime, I'll work on enhancing tool with better pattern recognition to hopefully eliminate these from the results.

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    You could add optional filters to exclude posts with certain words at the users discretion. i usually start my searches in the broadest terms then narrow down from there if I must.

13. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

Ah, like ebay's favorite search option. That would be nice.

14. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Location filtering will be subject to sellers including that info in their profile. Often they do not. Maybe if this catches on they will cooperate when they realize it will bring more traffic to their ads.

15. wilder

wilder

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    That kicks ass. If you can add The Gear Page it would complete my financial ruin.

16. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Definitely agree, I came up with a couple of cool ways to scan for the location and display that in the results (should be ready by Friday or Monday), but ultimately if there is no mention of the location anywhere in the post or the profile it won't be doable.

I know for me personally that having that info in an ad makes me more willing to contact the OP. It would be a dream if everyone included a location.

17. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Glad you like it! Will take a look at adding it by Friday as well :)

18. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    +1 million - Wanna sell something successfully? Go ahead and fill out the basic info about yourself - "mystery" isn't attractive to buyers wanting to get a feel for who are before they make a purchase. This particularly applies to those with little or no feedback. Zero feedback, short-timer on TB, AND you provide no information about your location or your background? I'm always very hesitant to purchase from that type of seller.

19. FeverPitch

FeverPitch

May 29, 2012
    Update: Location detection should be live by this Friday :)

20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Just discovered another bug: giving sale price. I searched "Lakland" and one of the hits was Bunkaroo's sale of a 55-64 with custom finish here on TB. The search engine gives the price at $600, but he's asking $1200 for it: says he spent $600 on the refinish and HSC. Looks like the engine picks up the first money value that appears in the listing. I don't know if there's any way an engine could be programmed to distinguish which value is the actual sale price, but something to be aware of.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021