1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An idea you can use…

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 40Hz, Dec 20, 2018.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Needed materials: marking pen and tape.

Time needed to complete: 1 minute

FACBCFC4-F28F-4C5B-B3B1-749F633C6633.

2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    That's funny.

I finally have my original jazz fusion KB trained to stay out of that area, but it really messes him up. He always writes with a heavy left hand (sometimes with lines I can't play) and then after he brings it in and we decide to develop it, he has to go home and come up with new left hand part to stay out of my kitchen. He really is pretty good about it - most of the time.

3. Have you considered letting him have his complex LH part, and freeing yourself up to adventure up the neck? Maybe taking turns, trading eights, etc?

Oddly likes this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I hate it when they start fooling with the bass keys and then those harmonics kick in trying to offset what I'm playing ... To counter that, I crank the volume up more. If that doesn't work, I tie their left hand behind their back. ;)

5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    We go there sometimes, but he likes the bass and left hand to work in unison more than I do. As a 3 piece, I think it's important that spread our tonality around as much we can. He's getting much better about coming up with other things to do with his left hand after the song has been accepted as something to work out.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. All things considered, he sounds like a good bandmate.

7. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes very mush so for the most part. My biggest issue with him is to get him to focus on a goal longer than 3 minutes. (He jokingly - I think - claims to be schitzo!) We just never know what "direction" he wants to take and every week there's an opportunity for us to chase another shiny object that will make us "happen". Need a guitar and a sax, no just a guitar, lets work up some standards, no just originals, no just a sax, lets make some demos, no not that way - too sterile, I can't play on the electric KB anymore - need my Steinway I can't play on the electric KB anymore - need my Steinway, no the open air recording is too uncontrolled, here's 12 new songs, we need a vocalist, here's some new sounds on my Nord, we need to work off of hip-hop beats, we need CDs, we need percussion, we need videos, we need a vocalist, we need to go to a real studio, lets work up some standards, we need 2 horns... (yes I repeated some the items - circular ideas). I don't mind keeping things fresh, but it sure is hard to be prepared for our next adventure. I am always very afraid of what he'll come up with if we don't get together for a couple weeks. All of his ideas are valid, he just doesn't give things time to work themselves out.

It'll sure be nice if we can land a few gigs - that will likely get him focused on just playing in stead of chasing every possible angle all at once.

Mr_Moo likes this.