Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by munkycharmz, Feb 27, 2003.

1. I was changing the strings on my little brother's guitar and he was talking about how he just bought a boss distortion pedal but he forgot to buy an extra power cord. So I let him borrow one of mine and as I'm sitting in the hallway listening to him I had an idea.
    What if someone made a guitar with a distortion pedal (or any other effect) built right into it? Its not really a pedal anymore but like a little button you can bush or a knob so you can control the amount. Has this been done before? Im sure something like this would be popular with the tabcrawler crowd.

Just an Idea

Andrew

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think a number of guitars in the 1960's were built with this option, never really caught on though... I think it was viewed as more of a gimmick than anything.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Stew Mac sells a device like this - I think it's called "Black Ice" or similar. As I recall, it's a passive fuzz circuit that replaces your tone cap. Or something.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    My dad's got a Danelectro baritone guitar with four built-in effects. Four little buttons to turn each one on or off, and two knobs to control the effect parameters.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I think Electra made some guitars and basses with that type of arrangement back in the late '70s.

They had these effects modules that dropped into the back of the guitar.

I don't they were particularly popular.

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I think theres a new line 6 guitar out, that has built-in effects and amp modeling.

Also the fernandes nomad deluxe(the guitar with a builtin amp) has a built in effects processor

8. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    A friend of mine installed the circuitry from a rocktek distortion pedal into one of his old strat copys. It's got seperate knobs and an on/off switch. The hardest part was fitting it all in the control cavity.

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    chris squire of yes has a bass that has effects built into it.

10. The Squier that I hot-rodded has a Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive built into it. Stripped out the electronics, made it smaller, then shoved it in the upper horn (it was the only place that had room)

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im thinking effects, I maybe wrong. Sorry great effects MODs.

12. Chris Squire uses an Electra MPC bass that has 2 effects modules plugged into the back. Electra offered several different efx and several guitar and bass models, kinda collectable kinda not.
    Danelectro of old and new have guitars and basses with efx built in.
    Ovation used to built a 3 band eq into the Magnum series basses.
    Ken Smith added eq, and envelope followers early on.
    Cort offers a couple of basses with efx on board.

13. Line 6 Variax .

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Tom Morello uses an Ibanez Artstar custom guitar with built in wah, distortion and delay which was inspired by an old Vox he saw with built in FX.

And if I'm not mistaken the new TM Stevens signature Cort bass has a built in envelope filter.

Personally I'd rather have a footswitch than a switch on the guitar because I find twiddling knobs or flicking switches by hand very distracting compared to stomping on a pedal.

Alex

15. Doesn't Danelectro currently do a line of basses and guitars with effects built into them? I remember reading reviews a while back, they had (I think) chorus, phaser or distortion.

I also remember that the reviewers said they thought the effects did not sound good.

Also, Matt Bellamy of Muse like to have as many of his effects as he can in his guitar so he's "not held somewhere onstage by his pedalboard". He spends several thousand bucks on his guitars though.

IIRC.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Or you can go the extreme way and mount a tube preamp into it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    FYI, the Variax doesn't have built in amp modelling, only guitar modelling. Their grand plan is that you use it with one of their amps or pod.

Brian May onece experimented with a built in distortion effect in the Red Special. He thought it sounded crap, so he took it out.

The problem with built in effects is that if after a while you don't like the sound of it, or in this case, it's not the right kind of over drive, you're kind of stuck with it. At least with pedals, you can chop and change between different kinds of the same effect. Pedals are a lot easier to turn on and off as well, especially if both hands are busy doing something, like playing.

...bit of a gimmick if you ask me, not something I'd want to use on my main guitar...but a built in DI, that would be more useful