Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An idea

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by davehewitsonuk, Aug 29, 2003.

1. davehewitsonuk

davehewitsonuk

Feb 24, 2003
    I was very interested in making my own bass, but after seeing how much time etc. it takes to make everything yourself, i came up with an idea.

would it be possible to just build a new body for your existing bass, and then transfer everything over?

thanks

Dave

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  3. in fact i would recommend it, i just did some major mods to a MIA jazz and boy, luthier work is tough stuff. i cant begin to imagine building a neck ground up :eek: but yeah, making your own body would be a good idea. you might want to look into getting a blank body slab from carvin or warmoth or somewhere, i dont think they are too expensive. then all you'd have to do is the cutting to shape it and for pups and neck joint and such. sounds like a fun project, good luck! :)

4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I've been thinking about doing that with my franken bass for a while.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I once did sound for a kids show. The guitarist took all the electronics out of a Squier Strat and transplanted them into, are you sitting down, A SURFBOARD. It worked well. It looked silly, but that was the idea :)

6. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    THank you for the warning. How did he play it? was there a neck or something on the surfboard? thats crazy.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He basically sawed it in half. He kept the end with the finns on it and used that as the body of the guitar.

He shaped the sawn off end so it look like a couple of giant guitar cut-aways / waves, then attached a guitar neck. The he transplanted the pickups, electrinonocs etc.

The kids loved it. I didn't have a camera with me unfortunately.