Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An important public apology

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just felt I had to put this out there regarding Hartke strings. As part of a promotional thing I got a dozen free sets, which I thought was very nice of them. When I put them on my Bongo I was terribly upset because basically, they sounded like total crap. I mentioned that several times here.

I only recently realized it was the battery which was dying on my bass.

I take back anything I said about them and apologize to Harke. I sold all the rest of them and bought a bunch of Ernie Ball strings, so I can't even give an accurate review of my impression without the ailing batteries.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    "The more one makes declarative statements, the more likely one is to look foolish in retrospect" - Four Rooms

No problem. We all do it from time to time.....what makes the difference is being able to admit it.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    /waits for duracell sucks thread :D

good on ya joe

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Joe, while your apology is an inspiration to us all...

They still sucked. Hard. With a battery so fresh sailors on leave were afraid to play them. :smug:

Don't beat yourself up too hard over it.

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    +1

the worest B string i ever tried... :mad:

6. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    i got hartke x-lights for my 4 string, had em for a few months now, the only string ive ever put on there besides the ones when i got my bass. i guess i really hav no reason for comparison but they sound alright to me, would getting some ernie balls make much of a difference, i heard they dont last long.

ps INSPIRATIONAL apology

7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Aren't they basically D'Addario's? They had the same color coded ball ends and the D's....

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    +2 I had them installed with a new DiMarzio Model P pickup, and immediately realized I couldn't assess the pickup because the strings were so bad! So I switched to Fenders, and realized I have a darned good punk/hard rock pickup on my hands. I think it's a remote possibility -- emphasis on remote -- that they'll sound decent on my semi-hollow DiPinto, which does okay with bright strings. But their rough texture will still munch away at the frets... :scowl: