An important question for mucisions to ponder.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Feb 22, 2005.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    We've all seen SNL's "beyond the music" skit, featuring a parody of BoC's tune, "Don't fear the reaper"...

Well, a song popped in my head today during lunch, & I found myself torn. Is it possible, that SNL's desire to spoof BOC's song: "Dont fear The Reaper" is misplaced? I was thinking about this and a Nazareth song, popped into my head. Name of the track was, Hair of the Dog.

So, I decided to check it out... & sure enough, Nazareth's Hair of the Dog was released in 1975. And Blue Oyster Cult's The Reaper was released 1 year later... in 1976.

In retrospect, we've gotta wonder if BoC was trying to steal Nazareths thunder? Here we are, almost 30 YEARS later, & Blue Oyster Cult is thought of the band that revolutionized the Cowbell. But, do they really deserve the credit? Was Nazareth's notariety circumvented,,, by an SNL skit?
  2. have way to much free time....
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check out some Mountain. Corky counts the lead in on his cowbell on the track, Mississippi Queen.

Climbing, the album the song is from, was released in 1970.
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Another friend of mine pointed out that, LedZep's Good Times,Bad Times and The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Woman ALSO featured this much maligned percussive instrument.
  5. blue oyster cult is the band thought of as having revolutionized the cowbell?

that's news to me.....

go to sleep.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey, I didn't produce the SNL skit...
  7. Another band that really gets shorted is Grand Funk Railroad. Don Brewer's insistent cowbell beat drives the whole song- We're An American Band.