Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An important Samick endorsement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    In this morning's LA Times Sunday Calendar there is a nice color ad for the new Josie and the Pussycats movie. The actress portraying the bass playing Pussycat is holding a very prominently displayed Samick bass. Interesting marketing.

2. I just love their slogan "Samick, we make over half the worlds guitars."

That leads me to wonder where the bloody hell they're putting them all cause I'm sure half the guitar playing population isn't buying their crap.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, Samick manufactures for several different brands in addition to their own. That's why they make the claim they do. Also, just because they don't have an apparent presence here in the States doesn't mean that they aren't big sellers across the rest of the globe. Remember also that there are far more beginners in playing than pros - student guitars/basses probably sell a lot more than we realize.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anyone who has heard Hiram Bullock play would feel downright silly saying Samick sucks.

Then again, blame the axe...it's easier:D

d'oh... it's Cort;)

5. Hiram Bullock uses Cort, not Samick. Cort-made guitars of all brands tend to be of a much higher quality than Samick-made ones, I've found.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And he sure as hel1 doesn't play a run-of-the-mill axe...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not to be too technical, but the term would be "product placement", not endorsement.

I guess Samick's trying to increase their market share of teen girl bass players.

What kind of guitar is Josie playing, I wonder?
    (and I sorta wonder what kind of drums Melody's playing, but just 'cause.. well, just because).

Will C.:cool:

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I get the feeling that Josie and the Pussycats don't play music that really requires a Fodera. Or a Warwick, for that matter.

I know I wasn't concentrating on headstocks when I saw the ad. :)

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Good one, Christopher!!!

Got me thinking...would Ken Smith mind bidding on some Cocobolo/Spalted Maple, Conklin-melt, ears and a tail for me?

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I saw yet another picture today (the full size pic of the movie ad referenced in my first post) and Josie is posing with a matching Samick guitar with even bolder lettering on the headstock than the bass. I agree this is product placement rather than an endorsement. Clearly the producers were not worried about authenticity because the original Pussycat played a pre-CBS P.

Man, I suck at posting.

11. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Hey! I play a samick! ..... I hate it though .. hehe

12. :D I know what you mean. :D Although I did get a glimpse of the headstock when I saw it. I guess the musician in me was strong enough to overcome the guy in me for a breif moment in time. I should stress the word breif. :D

13. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I'll never sell my first bass (a Samick), coz, well - it's my first bass. I don't know, I've always liked it, but then I was trying out this maple-necked Fender J over the past weekend, and....and.....G.A.S. setting in.....must......be........strong.........

Then again - one of my guitar-playing friends likes to bang around on my Samick. I guess that's reason enough to sell it...

14. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Ok guys, I'm new here .. what is G.A.S ?

15. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

16. NOt sure if this is the right forums, but oh well.

I haven't seen the movie, but on the cover of the DVD/ Video, the bassist chick appears to be holding a Samick (!) of all basses.
    You would think that for a movie like that they wolud have a chick in a "supposedly" big band playing a decent instrument!

I guess i thought it was rather funny......

17. There was a thread way back when that movie was out in theaters titled "Important Samick endorsement!" which was all about their choice instruments in that movie being Samicks.

Now to find that thread...

[EDIT] Here it is.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, here's what I did:

I merged both "Josie and the Pussycats" threads into one, deleted one of Drake's requests for a list of brands made by Samick since he double posted,:)rolleyes: ) Split Drake's original question from the thread and moved it to "Basses" where it belongs.

You're welcome.:p ;) :rolleyes:

19. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Yet again Big Wheel saves the day.

Honestly I would have been disappointed had there not been an ad. The whole movie itself was a giant mass of product placement. Practically every shot had some product or product name in it. Not to mention I'm not going to complain when the ad features the the lovely Miss Cook.

20. :D