Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An instrument switcher...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryan morris, Jul 1, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, first I guess this is the best place to post this but it can be moved.

I'm looking for a box that can have about 4 (1/4") inputs plugged into and have one 1/4" out. I want it to be designed like a stompbox where each channel would have its own stomp on/off switch. Does anyone make something like this or do I have to start building it?
    I don't want anything too fancy with ground lift and balanced DI and junk, just a direct channel switcher.
    Thanks, Ryan

2. i think Ravens Labs makes one, its a mixer.

pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit

Dude sells em there, just go to the Ravens Labs part of the board, and check out the prices and stuff.

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I don't know of any commercial units like that (although it is possible they exist) as most do a 'either THIS channel or THAT channel or etc' type thing, whereas you're after a mixer with pre-set channel levels and the ability to switch each channel on or off (right?).

A few hours DIY and US$60->$80 parts would see you right though. A simple op-amp based mixing circuit with internal trimmers for channel volume sounds like the way to go. The only real difficulty might be find a sturdy enough box that is both wide enough for four stompswitches and also 'shallow' enough to use easily.

I can help you with the details if you like.

MikeB

4. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    prophecybass, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I want to be able to put 4 instruments into one loop so I could technically be 4 people....I'll have to talk to you about this later when I'm not so tired. I wouldn't mind building it though. Thanks and Later, Ryan

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    No problems. You can post here or message privately or email.

Cheers

MikeB

6. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    snaggletooth, Those look like what I'm not looking for...if it had a footswitch for controlling which channel I wanted then it'd be more than enough though. Thanks,Ryan

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  8. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    Check the switchers at www.voodoolabs.com.
    I've had bad experiences with their customer support (just to let you know).

9. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I checked out all of those sites ( www.voodoolab.com if anyone's interrested ) and couldn't find out exactly what I'm looking for...all of theirs are more complicated than I need. It looks like I'm making one for myself. The only real problem I'm going to have is building the box...what to make it out of (long, flat, sturdy).