Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

an interesting bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Molina, May 1, 2003.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    This one hurts my back just by looking at it

[​IMG]

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. It's a Warr.. I saw a picture of Trey Gunn playing that same model.. I don't like how it looks compared to other Warrs..

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    it looks like a chapman stick, minus it has a body and all.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i cant believe someone would play that nevermind buy it, it seems like a game called "can you top this" the way i see it if JACO,J.P JONES,"DUCK" DUNN,J.ENTHWISTLE,J.JAMERSON,N.REDDING and a host of other "GREAT" players can do it on a "regular"(passive,active 4 string)bass well then thats MORE than good enuff for me,why in all of GOD's green earth would you need anything more than a 5 string(even thats pushing it to me)bass to get the job done ?thats just my opinion and its not meant to rub anyone the wrong way,i just dont understand the need to "overdue" it with all these new age basses, i guess i'm just "old school" and prefer old school type basses
    peace:bassist:

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Geezer:

It's more than a bass guitar. It's a bass and a guitar all in one. The idea is that you tap on the strings without having to pluck them, thus freeing up your other hand to play guitar simultaneously. It's like the guitar version of the piano. So there is a purpose for the instrument.

This is nothing new. Emmit Chapman started making these types of instruments in the 70's and 80's. Tony Levin made the Chapman Stick relatively well known with King Krimson and Peter Gabrielle. Most of the bass parts on those recordings are with the Chapman Stick.

As for your 4 passive strings is enough comment. It's enough for you...not for others. That arguement can be read about in over 150 other threads.

7. Understand this:

(Trey Gunn videos)

And then tell us if it is still rIdiculous..

If we all played 4 or 5 string passive axes.. there wouldn't be such a wide variety of styles and sounds in bass playing maybe.. dont you think?

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thank you, Luis.

Geezer, please take a minute to listen to Trey.

Also, think of the people who think the upright is the only "real" bass and the electric shouldn't have been invented.

By the way, It's "overdo", meaning that you "do" something "over" the necessary amount.

Some words just explain themselves if you let them.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :rolleyes:

:sharpening knives:

10. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Dont get me wrong... I owned a stick... like Tony,etc...

...but some of that video sounds like junk... I have heard much better stick playing than that...

...am I crazy?

11. No, but how 'bout if you name some stuff to listen to?

I've downloaded some tracks by Greg Howard too.. That man OWNS that piece of wood..
    Amazing control on his right hand.. I wish I could at least tap a major scale on my bass with my R hand :(

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes: some folks need a crowbar.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    no time to watch the videos at the moment, but you can hear Trey's half-fretted/half-fretless Warr on the new KC, and it is an unbelievable tone. You have got to hear the fretless tones he gets out of that thing! Absolutely stunning!

[​IMG]

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that thing scares me...

15. :eek: :eek: :eek:

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Its ridiculous to put down something you've never played.. And what you've said has probably offended some people here.. I can tell you that I know several people who play 7,8, and even 9 string basses and they play them amazingly.. Just because you don't see a need for one, doesn't mean others don't... I play on a five.. I don't think that I personally have a need for more than that at the moment.. but I wouldn't rule one out...:rolleyes:

17. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Greg owns on a stick... Levin keeps it simple...

18. Bill Dickens only needed 9 strings....