1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An interesting little story about who you can meet at an open mic.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by joebar, Nov 12, 2017.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    There's a great weekly open mic in my neighbourhood which I usually make my rounds to for the past 6 months. Many great musical opportunities have arisen from meeting people there. I quite often play house bassist there as well.
    There is this guy who always gets on the mic and sings his heart out and I always seem to Be on stage with him. I've played with him many times over a three or four month period. He isn't very good but he tries.
    Anyways, I find out a couple days ago that he is the brother of Pat Travers.
    We've been corresponding and it was very neat to hear him talk about all the players that I love; Mars,Tommy and Nicko and Pat of course.
    I'm a huge Travers fan and even a bigger Mars Cowling fan.
    My point is you never know who you may meet.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That’s cool.

I used to play at a jam night and the guitarist was an older guy that just wailed on a Steve Vai Ibanez. Earl Johnson from Moxy. Fairly big in the 70’s, and man can this guy still play lead on just about anything. Good dude too.

3. MikeMig

MikeMig

Feb 7, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet.

I'm a big Mars fan as well. Saw him in a small club in the Chicago suburbs around '90 or so. Sat right in front of him...couldn't believe how high the action on his P was. A real shame how underrated he is.

joebar likes this.
  4. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Glad to hear about the PT connection, and to have an excuse for why I can't play Cowling's ripping fast funk licks.

5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Jammed w/ James Hetfield when he showed up at our Tuesday night blues jam.

Jimmy4string likes this.