An iPod for backup?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JTGale, Feb 22, 2005.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I am kinda kicking around the idea of hitting some local jams to do my thing. I had been considering using my DR-5 as backup. Then, I began to think about mixing it all out on my computer and burning a CD to play with. But now, I am wondering if maybe I should just us an iPod, instead.

Has anyone else done this? For portability sake, it would make alot of sense. I could mix everything sans bass on my computer, burn it to an iPod, and then show up at the gig and just say, "plug this in," and away I would go: instant backup band.

All thoughts are appreciated! :D
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think it makes sense. The comments I've seen on this topic before is that a pre-recorded background has potential for a stale performance. Not that you are bad, but there's no room for "spur of the moment" inspiration.

Anyway, that's a different topic. I think iPods are the **** and everyone should have one.
  3. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I have heard that this is what a lot of people are doing. Sam Sims, former bass player for just about anybody that you can name in pop and R&B, used one for a showcase for one of his artists (he also produces). I heard it went great. B Easy

4. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Cool! Then I am not too far off, then. I think it would be an easy solution to be able to just show up, plug in, and play.

I understand that it would be best to play with others since that is when you can really find that cosmic groove. But, most of the places I am thinking of playing are one or two persons acts, at most.

It could be fun. And who knows, some cool brothers or sisters of the groove just might show up and turn it into a groovefest, afterall. :D

5. I've done both with a band I was in. Well, it wasn't an iPod but basically the same thing from a different brand.
    Both have their plusses and drawbacks. The CD player was good in that it played exactly what was on the CD but unless you've got a good one the sound can suffer. The MP3 was nice and more flexible as we could edit the setlist minutes before the gig with it just playing straight through but there was a problem with it glitching once or twice that has caused some weird moments on stage. In both cases you better hook it up to a power supply, batteries are just too darn risky sometimes.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Check out Irivers or Creative's stuff. I sold off my Ipod that i got for free from for a Zen Touch, which cost me $194...and I love it.

Sound quality is suprub, just don't get mad if you don't like the EQ (4 band? wha?!)
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I love my mini disk recorder!