An Observation About "MTV"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassAxe, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    If the "M" in "MTV" is supposed to stand for "Music", why the hell are none of its advertisements for Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Ampeg, Tama, Sabian, Korg, Roland, etc. ???

It's all fast food, cosmetics, movie previews, and such.

Now that it's said, would the world be a better place if such advertisements compelled more people to take up a musical instrument, or would we all be crowded out by even more no-talent wannabes?

*Mike Myers "Coffee Talk" impression*

2. Dude, you're lucky if you see a Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Ampeg, Tama, Sabian, Korg, Roland, etc. in the videos themselves, much less the advertisements.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh, because they can't afford the air time that the other companies can? The companies buy the air time from MTV, so it doesn't mean it has to be music related. MTV has really high viewer numbers, so air time is expensive, hence only big companies can afford to buy it's time.

Besides, that's music GEAR related, and most people who watch MTV are music players, so they wouldn't have the need for most of it. It would only apply to a small portion of the viewers. However, everyone has a need for fast food (sadly, in that case), cosmetics, movies, clothes, etc. It appeals to a MUCH higher percentage of the viewers.

Fox is supposed to be entertainment, so do you find it's commercials entertaining? :confused: The commercials have very little to do with the premise or purpose of the channel.
  4. Angus is on the money--only a tiny percentage of the population actively makes music.

The biggest guitar company is Gibson/CMI, with annual revenues of $300 million. MTV rakes in $300 million a week.
  5. They really don't play very much Music at all.
  6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    it's sad when you have to watch mtv2 or one of the several spin off channels to actually get some music videos. Too many damm boring talk/game shows.
  7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The worst part of Mtv is the 5+ minute commercial breaks. Then when TRL starts they play 20 seconds of a video (and most likely a video from an awful "artist")

Oh and you know why MtvX was taken off the air? "Requests from viewers for an all rap/hip hop station" :rolleyes: Isnt that what Mtv is for already?
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I think this is very telling and betrays the huge bias, that is evident at TalkBass - i.e. the massive obsession with GEAR! :rolleyes:

It is quite refreshing for me, when I go to Jazz Summerschool each year and people spend all week talking about MUSIC - as there is a mix of pianists, sax players, trumpeters etc.

Some of the best moments and best lessons (in the 5 years I have been going) have nothing to do with GEAR, but everything to do with MUSIC. So clapping exercises for playing 3 against 4 time, singing in the choir, hitting stuff in samba school etc etc.

If you are a piano player or a singer, for example - all this gear stuff is irrelevant - you play whatever instrument is in front of you or use what you were given at birth! If you can sing it you can play it!

MUSIC is an expressive art that can reflect or illuminate life and is created by thinking beings!
    GEAR is just stuff that may or may not create music! ;)
  9. OK it's 1983 and you have a channel of all music videos by Culture Club, Michael Jackson, Def Leppard, Police, all the freaking time. On weekends they had these Friday NIght Fights between two bands. They also aired concerts every week... Tubes, Rush, whatever... CONCERTS!!!!

Back in the days of Martha, JJ, Alan... MTV WAS Music Television. And yeah, I got introduced to Prophet 5 synths, Simmons drums, Steinberger basses, Rickenbackers...

Problem was that BIG CO. ate MTV up! It became just MTV, without any meaning. The "usic ele ision was dropped.

So today we have an MTV NOTHING like the original concept started in 1981 with those keyboard notes leading up to "Video Killed The Radio Star"...
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If thought the "M" stood for "Moron".:confused:

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When I was in Texas, I once saw a Yamaha commercial with Billy Sheehan playing a short solo. But that was in 1988.
    All you see in Europe (MTV Europe, VIVA) are commercials for those silly "music" software toys, e.g. Magix Music Maker..."Be a DJ!! - No learning or skills required" :rolleyes:
  12. This isn't a stab at anyone in particular but I get SOOOO sick and tired of reading these boohoo posts about the state of music. All this anti-hiphop/pop sentiment is such a tired excuse. People stopped listening to rock music in mass numbers because it started to suck. As much as I hate/hated grunge music I can still say that there was something some/most of the music buying people at that time could relate to (what it was I dont know), thus its sucess. I wish EVERYONE who complains about too much hiphop on MTV would just go to their garage/practice space and make some damn music that people want to listen too. Rock music will always be around. Make it a goal to bring it back to top of the charts if you hate what is on the charts now. I am in a ROCKband, so I do my best to create music that is not "trendy" and that people of all walks of life can relate too, so 5 years from now when all those 15 year olds`who listen Kristina Milian all day turn 20, they will have grown up and been through a little bit more of life and therefore wanting some music that reflects that, thats when we all come in, guitars ablazin, ready to rock, and give them that! to loosely paraphase a quote "If you dont have to work for something it isnt that much worth having"

13. MTV is just like an American / English magazine.. 90 % commercials, 10 % blabla
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I almost feel like the person telling you for the first time that "there is no Santa Claus."

But, let the truth be known.

Here's an excerpt from a NY Times article -

"The idea, for example, in MTV of what music news is, is very much tied up with what the network is promoting at the time. I don't think anybody at the network would deny that. It's basically the same thing in the music press if you really look at it. Rolling Stone or Spin, for example, do have separation between editorial and ads, but certainly the editorial is driven by the same companies that buy the ads. In a weird way, that's even more of a marriage than MTV, because MTV has ads from, whatever, some mint or something or Burger King. Their ads are not necessarily from the record labels. . . .

If the truth isn't bothering you yet, check out this link -

Long story short - they don't give a hang about what serves those who make the music. They care about what shoes and cell phones they can use with the band identities to sell more effectively to you, just like those woeful pitchmen, Sugar Ray.

Indie labels are the only hope and even they get bought out.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    says the guy with an expensive boutique instrument as his avatar.
  16. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Excellent posts, Rick and Phatboi5. Btw, Phatboi, I saw your band at the Grape Street in Philly a few years ago and really enjoyed your set.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Anyway, I don't think rock is hurting as bad as people seem to think, look at Ozzfest receipts, for example.
  18. Now-now...Bruce? Hypocrisy? That's impossible!

19. Man we got stuck in Conshohocken the very next day, for 3 days, with $20 between four guys and no change of clothes. WHy do you ask. Blew our transmission...Got back to Pittsburgh and spent $30000 on a two year old Pimpmobile conversion van. I like grape street. we are having a tough time getting in there again. I think they changed agents or something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.