Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An observation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cafepurgatory, May 20, 2001.

1. I just wanted to say that I'm new to Talk Bass (and to bassing) and I've been browsing through some of the threads here. As I was reading it struck me that I've never actually seen this kind of attitude toward other players. I came up as a very mediocre drummer playing in garage bands back home and around there good bassists are very hard to find. And they know it. So they all generally had very bad attitudes and treated beginners, or even experienced players looking for advice like garbage.

The long and short of it is, I'm glad to see the helpful attitude around here and I respect it. It's a very welcome sight since I know I'll have a few hundred questions to ask on the road to getting where I want to be with the Bass.

Later
    -Cafe Purgatory

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome cafe!

I think the attitudes just reflect general society. There are jerks and there are really fine people here. And the jerks are the exceptions, fortunately. And if you keep focus on the positive majority, you'll like posting here.

So ask away when a need arises....and if this thread gets moved to a more appropriate forum by a moderator, they're not being a jerk, just doing a good job.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Glad to see you feel that way Cafe, and welcome!

4. Welcome to TB Cafe, have fun. :)

5. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Right on Cafe!

I haven't been here very long myself, didn't take much time at all to see this is a very special place.

Welcome Aboard.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Ditto
    Doc

7. Welcome Cafe, and like the others have said, there are'nt too many jerks here, we have the means to make sure they dont stick around, but really, they almost never show up anyway. Ask as many questions as you want, that's what this place is for, however, you can save a lot of time by using the search button, as most topics have been around the block several times. For example, if you want to get people's opinions on say, a G&L L2500, just type that in on search, and you'll find page after page after page after...........

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Welcome, Cafe. This is indeed a cool place (I'm only a jerk some of the time ;)).

By the way, my inlaws used to live in Mililani town (my father-in-law ran the Navy Exchange at Pearl). Beautiful place.

I wish I could find this mystical place where bassists aren't a dime a dozen. I think maybe they're following me...;)

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey! I used to live in Makakilo. Want to guess where I worked, Lump? :D

Oh, yeah, and my wife worked at Pearl City HS and then Wainae (I never spell that right)

10. Hello Cafepurgatory and welcome to the board and to Talk Bass.

This is definitely the place to come for plenty of sound advice. I've only been on since last Christmas and I've gotta say that I've enjoyed every minute.

It's a shame bass players around you were treated so badly. Never mind. You' won't get that here: not from the vast majority, anyway.

Best regards.

Rockin John

11. veronica

veronica

Jun 4, 2001
    I have to say, I agree with cafe, you guys are awesome!!! I was just surfing the web and ran into this site. I was planning on spending 2 or 3 minutes on it like every other site but you roped me in. I have been at this site for about 2 hours now and feel like I have missed out not knowing about this site earlier. I recently have become extremely interested in the bass and you guys have fueled that fire. The thing that pulls me in is the attitude of this site more than what is said. You ROCK MY WORLD!

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Glad to see you feel that way as well, Veronica.

God, this is a great thread - I think I'm gonna cry... ;)

13. Wow, all the love, this is great

group hug anyone? :D

14. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Hands above the waist everyone!!

Chris A.:rolleyes:

15. If there's a need to remind everyone to keep the hands above the waist, I'd watch out Veronica. This place may be a little friendlier than I originally thought. ;)

16. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Cafe - Word.

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"I dance to the bass,
    I sing to the bass,
    I flirt with the bass,
    Sometimes I think the bass is playing itself!"

- Sheila Jordan
    Jazz vocalist extraordinaire

//www16.brinkster.com/tashee/Sheila/sheila2.gif

18. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Man, I was having a downer morning until stumbling onto this thread....I'm all teary-eyed because I think I missed the group hug....oh well I'll go hug my P-Lyte...