Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Octave pedal that adds octaves above the note??!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aram Bedrosian, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Aram Bedrosian

Aram Bedrosian

Oct 24, 2005
    Burlington, VT
    Endorsing Artist: Ritter, DR, Jim Dunlop, Hartke
    Does anybody know of an octave pedal that adds octaves above the note...All I have ever seen are pedals that add octaves below....

Thanks!

2. My ME50B can do both. There's a slight delay though which in some instances sounds cool, but for others it sux.

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Akai Unibass - pretty good up-octave, can add other harmonies (4th & 5th?), can add distortion, either 1 out or 2 (separate dry signal and generated), discontinued, may have a tendency to self-destruct over time

Electro-Harmonix POG - very nice up octave (and +2 octaves and -1 octaves and +1 octave detuned and +2 octaves detuned), works on chords, expensive

Boss Supershifter - don't bother on bass (IMO)

Zoom BFX-708 - (hey, it's what I've got) distorted octave up is good, clean octave up is in the don't bother category

I've tried those 4, one I haven't tried that looks interesting is:

Digitech Whammy

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Digitech Whammy. It sounds rather synthetic, but with an effect on over it (distortion or something) you can't even tell it's a fake note.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    the zvex jonny octave is a fuzz with the up octave

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I love the EH POG, granted it was a chunck out of my fund$ but I have yet to regret getting it.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    The POG also gives you a low pass filter & convincing organ tone ability. I want to try one with a phaser/vibe.

8. All Octavia style octave/fuzzes add an octave up (Chicago Iron, Fulltone, Foxrox (their's does oct up and down), ect)

The Fender Blender isn't an octavia, but it is an octave fuzz, though you'll only hear the octave when you play up high on the neck.

And then there's the obvious use of pitch shifters/harmonizers like the Whammy and Boss PS series (I donno how well they track a bass), EHX POG, ect.

9. Another good Octavia styled unit to check out would be the Studio Electronics Wolftone Helium pedal. It tracks well and articulates nicely on bass. I've found that I prefer to use a pitch shifter like the Digitech Whammy or an Eventide because you can sweep into and out of the upper octave, in addition to a number of other practical intervals. I would definatly recommend the use of distortion or fuzz with pitch shifters to help make the sound more organic.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've got the EH POG and love it. I play mostly Motown, R&B and classic rock and it works great for those times I want to sound like more than just bass playing. If the guitarist is doing something else and can't accompany me, I use my POG and it works great. I don't use it for the keyboard like sounds yet, but I've played with it and it's pretty cool too.

Yes, it is expensive, but worth it IMO.

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got the digitech whammy. Bought it primarily for the octave up feature, but the pedal doesn't track properly - at least on mine. When set to the up octave mode, rocking the pedal all the way overshoots the mark. I think it works properly on guitar (guitarist is using it now w/o issue) but have never had luck with it on bass.