Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An odd question (GK related)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Nov 27, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    OK. I have $735 dollars now. I've decided on the 1001rb-II. I can get a deal so that last 15 bucks isn't anything, I have enough money for the GK but not for a cab. Write now I have a 60 watt 1*12 Laney combo amp. It doesnt seem to have a preamp in but it does have direct out,effect loop, and Ex. out 1/4" plug ins. Is there any way I could get the head and make it to were I can use the GK preamp though the combo?? If not then just say it.

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You should be able to use the FX SEND on the 1001RB connected to to the FX RETURN on the Laney to defeat the Laney preamp. You'll need to be careful with your volume though or you'll rip right through that little 60watt speaker. I have a question for you though...

Where are you buying your 1001RB-II from? Riksmusic.com sells it for $600 delivered, and I was able to get my local Guitar Center to beat the price by another $50.

- Frank.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If 480W is sufficient enough to get the job done, metalbass101 can buy the 700RB-II for $500 at Riksmusic and have almost enough left over for an Avatar cabinet.

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    UGLY BASS PLAYER. Thank you, you are the man. I am going to order it from a local store. I have no other choice than to do this because I am still living with my mom (I'm 17) and she won't order from RIKS and the nearset GC isn't for a long time.

I have a question for you. That thing about FX send(GK) to FX return(Laney) is cool and all but are you absolutely sure on that? I spent that last few years saving up that money and lets just say everything else in my life has gone to hell, so this thing is just a tad bit important to me.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

I was about to get that combination to at one time. It's just, she said, "As long as you pay for it, I'll order for you"
    Push came to shove-"Well, I'm not handing over my credit card number to some stranger(continues to stare at me)"

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Awww...dude...I'm sorry to hear that. Is there any other relatives, or friends you can trust enough to place the order for you? I'd hate to see a young musician spend anymore than they have to. That kind of money didn't come very easily when I was 17.

Try to hold on to the $$$ until you can figure something out. Where there's a will, theres a way!

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm sure someone else around should be able to weigh in to confirm this, but yeah it should work. Since the GK is a solid state amp, you can run it without connecting any speakers and that end won't be a problem (no speakers = no load = infinity ohms = OK for SS amp). The FX send output contains the signal post preamp (but before the power amp section). Similarly, the FX return input takes the signal coming into it and sends it right to the power amp. In an amp containing an FX loop, when nothing is plugged into the FX jacks the signal passes straight through from the preamp section to the amp section. When you plug a cord into one of these jacks, the signal is interrupted (on purpose) so that the signal can be routed out the FX send jack, through the FX device, then back in through the FX return jack.

My only concern in your situation is that if you think that your tone is going to radically change by doing this, chances are you'll be in for a bit of a dissapointing surprise. That's because the amp + speaker/cabinet combination play just as much an important role in shaping your sound as the preamp. Since you'll still be using the 60watt Laney power section and the small speaker/cabinet combination, I doubt your tone will be dramatically improved until you're able to get a suitable cabinet to match with the GK head.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit.

- Frank.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm sure if you call someone at Rik's music you can work out a deal to send them a certified cashiers check or postal money order and then they'll ship you the head. Just make sure you send the money order via certified mail / return receipt requested so you can both track your payment to insure that they receive it. It's worth it to save the extra $135 (plus tax).

- Frank.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd be awful careful about running that too loud. The GK, with 700 watts, will probably blow that single 12 cheapie pretty darn easily.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I thought about that too (in fact I mentioned it in my first reply), but that's really not true because he'd ONLY be using the preamp section of the GK, NOT the poweramp.

- Frank.

11. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I just thought of something. I have a friend in a Gordons music and sound in fairfield. He's going to be giving me that deal. If I get the money, I might consider him into ordering it for me. If I were to score a Avatar, I would bet on the B410neo. Also, it is a slight chance I might be getting a credit card of my own in the near future. I think an Avatar would be cool. I mean who says I HAVE to tottaly go like $900
    and up for the first cab? Oh and for the record, that is not the first time she's played me like that.

Another thing, would I really have to be worrying about loudness when it is just a preamp switch? I have a Digitech BP200. It has this one distortion effect, man that is just a little uncomfortably loud when you just click into it.
    Yet that 12 inch speaker takes it kind of well. Does that mean anything as far as this head goes?