1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An odd question regarding Fender Headstocks (CBS)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4StringLoser, Dec 14, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

I'm a massive fan of Fender basses and always have been, and after coming from playing guitar, I was always aware of the different headstocks available on Strats.

I am a massive fan of the 70's style larger Headstock (Top ) and to me it just completes the gorgeous looks of a vintage strat.

Now, what I was wondering is, are there any bass necks out there with a similar style of headstock, for example a standard Fender Bass headstock, but larger scale and to the correct 70's CBS shape.

I'm also open to any Non-Fender Basses / luthiers with custom models that fit the bill :)

many thanks in advance,
    Josh

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    No but some japanese fender bass copies had the big '70 strat shape headstock.

3. The Fender bass headstock is already pretty large. If it were made larger it would probably be almost comical and probably balance poorly.

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    besides the standard headstock and a telebass, fender hasnt changed much.

5. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Try to google and find some pictures of Paul Bigsby's headstock that Leo arguably copied from him. Enormous and comical for sure.

6. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Check out the headstock on the kingman a acoustic bass, it's pretty big in relation to the neck..

View attachment 240493

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    But the original inspiration is the second photo.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Check Warmoth's Warhead necks. They are for the short scales but they may be able to use the head stock shape for a long scale neck as well. It may fit the bill.

9. I know what you mean about the 1970s large Fender headstock, 4stringloser - I love them too! They look particularly gorgeous on a Telecaster Custom or Deluxe.

I have seen some Fender Bass VIs with this shape of headstock, although as you are probably aware, these are really baritone guitars rather than basses - however, they are lovely, unique instruments, and you might try one and love it! I'm not sure whether subsequent reissues have used this headstock, but some of the originals did, at least!

It would also be fairly easy and not too expensive for a luthier to build you the right neck for one of your existing basses.

Good luck in the search!