An old sample of my playing..

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Tbeers, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a 17yr. old senior in high school, and I play classical and jazz bass. My bass is a 7/8 size carved wood made by Arnold Schnitzer in 2003. At the time of this recording, I was using D'Addario Orchestral strings, so the sound isn't the greatest (I've since started using Pirastro Obligato). This track was recorded in October 2004, and I think that I've made a lot of progress since then, so it's difficult to listen to this in some ways hehe. But I figured that upon joining these forums, I might as well put forth some sample of what I do.

Blue Monk
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It really sounds good! Where in CT are you? Who are you studying with? This has that 'audition tape' sound to it -- so where are the other clips and where are you hoping to go to college?

Welcome to TBDB, BTW.
  3. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in West Hartford, studying with Joseph Messina of the Hartford Symphony. Last week I also took a lesson with Kenny Davis at UConn (and I must say he is the most amazing bassist I have ever met in my life). I am hosting one of the other clips from my audition tape, I'll post a link to it. In terms of college, I don't know yet... UConn offered me scholarship money, so that would be one option.

Bottesini Elegy
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Sounds great. You definitely have the goods.
  5. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree, you sound very good. I listened to both tracks, and while my comments pertain to Blue Monk (I'm studying jazz too), they really apply to both genres. Pay a bit more attn. to your rhythm - to that internal clock of yours. It's not as much you playing behind or ahead of the beat, because you have a good sense of where to be, but, if your internal clock isn't "set" (i mean like deep in your balls or wherever), you can sound like you're either unsure or hesitant (at times).

Still, for your age (I don't mean to sound patronizing), I'm very impressed. As Marcus said "you got the goods".

I hear and feel your searching, exploring, playfullness and sincerity. That's refreshing.

Nice work man.
  6. pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    whowoooooh it's very good !! And the sound too !!!
    How did you record this ? in a studio ? which mic

I feel old today.
  7. Thanks for the clips T. Even without checking your profile for your influences, I can hear you hearing Scotty in your playing.
    I would like to see (or hear) you work on your sound a bit more. This can be a matter of taste, of course, but for me, I find the string noise a bit excessive...especially in the low register. One of the dangers of playing in that LaFaro bag is what Scott himself went through. The diminishing return, i've heard someone use that phrase, of lower bridge height for speed, and higher for more substance and meat. Don't forget that your sound is your signature. You may just need to get your bass set up in another way.
    I think we all look for that low end growl to a certain degree. After all it's part of our history as jazz players. Ray Browns basses all had these scratches and gouges in their upper bouts from Ray whackin' that E string. I'm not saying we should all play in that bag, but at times it's a kick in the ass.

Sounds like you didn't get short-changed in the talent catagory...
    Since you mention that this clip (Monk) is a bit old, you may have already addressed the string noise issue, if you even considered it an issue.
    Keep up the good work and nurture that passion!
  8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Nice one - you're on the right track and all the best!