Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An old Stingray for $300, worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Mar 3, 2002.

1. I was wondering if it would be worth getting a used stingray with not so good condition for about less than US $300.

It is definitely a genuine stingray, but has a terrible smell(don't ask me how). The finish is not that bad....but rather oily...so after playing it, your hand get's really oily.....it's disgusting...but it's only selling for less than $300.

I know I can clean it up, but what do you think?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How does she sound? Maybe a little TLC will fix her right up. If she plays good and sounds good, IMO it would be well worth it.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Buy it, replace the pickguard and knobs, sand it down, refinish it and you will have snagged yourself a steal, no doubt.

If the circuitry is still solid and there isn't too much fret wear, chips in the body or anything else that would be a bite in the ace to replace (replacing a bridge is a snap), then go for it.

At 300 smacks, you'll be glad you did.

Worse comes to worse, yu buy it and then invest another 5 bucks in a bag of clothespins, some de-greaser and some lysol.

4. I would be wary of any bass that I used the word disgusting in describing, but if it loos like you can fix it up relatively easily then I would go for it.

Geoff

5. And after you clean it up don't for get the Pine Tree Air Fresheners to hang from the tuners.

[​IMG]

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    psst...thats a strawberry air freshener...

:D

7. well tell me more.......

It was a rather shocking first impression...the minute the hardcase was opened, the smell was quite strong.

One more question to those of you who have experience with stingray......where would be the serial no be engraved at? Anything I should be aware of before buying that bass...interms of making sure the neck's straight, or if this and that is still working properly. How do you know what year the bass is......I know it's more than one question.....but thanks in advance:D

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Arvid -

The location of the serial number depends on when it was made. It will either be on the neck plate or on the bridge (if it's here, it's kinda tough to see, as it's under the intonation screws & springs). A neck plate number will be a newer Ernie Ball version; if the number is on the bridge, it's most likely an "original" pre-EB 'ray.

Either way, if it's in useable condition, $300 is a steal, even if you have to refinish it. I've got an older one myself (a '79) and that's what I paid to get it. Had to refinish it, but it was well worth it. :)

9. Thanks Gard,

does the serial no reveal the year it's being made?

10. Its the only one I could find. I guess they are called little tree not pine tree.
    Another product that is used with out knowledge of its proper name.
    :D

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    300$ for a Stingray of any kind sounds pretty good.

if its playable, go for it.

as everyone said, you can treat it as a project bass-clean it, refinish if needed, replace the electronics and pup with 3rd party, leave it on the porch to ventilate a bit :D etc.

who knows, you might later find out that its a 70's Ray and you got a great deal.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say go for it.. the nasty oily gunck you talk about isn't normal.. just give it a REALLY REALLY GOOD WIPE DOWN!!!! :)

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes it does, but I don't know the serialization off the top of my head. I can find out with the number though, and I'd be happy to do that for you.

14. Thanks bro:)

I'll make sure I get the serial no. Thanks

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    It's all about the cherry!

16. Look closely at the neck to make sure it not damaged.

If it stinks, ask the guy why.....and ask him why it's so oily.....

Refinishing is not hard at all so if everything is in good working condition buy it.