Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An Old SWR Friend in My House Again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Nov 3, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I sold my Goliath Sr. about a year ago and regretted it ever since. Today I traded an Eden D210XLT and cash for a mint one with cover. I'm so pleased I hadda snap a pic after I checked it out at home. Can't wait to gig with it Wednesday. I'm a major fan of these cabs when driven by a Bass 750.

[​IMG]

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I used that setup for awhile. Very nice. Then the 6x10 was replaced by the Epifani 2x12. Then a Bergantino 2x10 was added to the stack. Don't you have Epifani and Bergantino cabs too?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. Bergie HT112, HT210 and HT115. And an Epi T212. But I like several good flavors, including SWR. I also own a Big Ben, Goliath III and Triad. And then there's the Mesa Boogie stuff...OK, I'll stop. I'm nuts. Pay me no mind.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    You have alot of stuff! How do you like the Big Ben, how does it compare to the HT115? I also used that cab for awhile.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty fast for an 18. I like it for big rooms or outside when it's paired with the Goliath III. It's nowhere near as tight as the Bergie 15, however.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Josh said.

As I've been saying I'm getting myself a Bergie or two for Xmas, but I'm definitely hanging onto my Goliath Senior. That cab has major 'nads.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man. Yeah, I dig it. That Smith gets better the more the years roll by!

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You said it, bro. Kicks like a mule.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    aaah....what a great, great cab. CONGRATS.

everything else just seems so quiet compared to it's gigantic cajones. it cuts, it's clear, it's got booty, and it's the freaking loudest cab i've ever heard. (i know specs vary alot, but i haven't seen anything else close to the 110db that the sr is)

i could use this cab with my AMP head and still be heard plenty onstage on all but the loudest gigs. (when before, i needed 750w into a goliath jr and triad to be heard BARELY)

i rest my case :D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. Yeah, I like SWR cabs in general but this model is my fave. An especially synergistic mate to the 750.

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Boogie,
    I know the feeling! Those Goliath 4 x 10 cabinets DO sound good! I use a SWR Goliath Jr. III now and would love to be playing through a 4-10" Goliath but just don't want to lug a 4-10" around any more! I guess compromise is a sign of old age!:)

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Or a 6x10. Like the one pictured and the subject of this thread.;)

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You are indeed a real man to carry that around! I guess that I was distracted by the nice Smith bass! I didn't get any further than the top four speakers!:oops:

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I hear ya. Well, actually that cab tips over pretty good and slides right in over the tailgate of my truck. So it's not really any worse that horsing a 4x10 around. And then the tip-back design lets you wheel it right in. Pretty manageable for its size.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    like they say, it's DAMN light for the amount of volume this puppy puts out. ligher than lots of 4x10s (cough eden) and the wheels make it super easy to move around.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Boogie, I have the identical rig, and love it, with exception of a few reliability problems......but I like it so much I put up with it. You think the senior is heavy, tryi picking up my senior inside the ATA flight case I have for mine, dddddddamn. This is the reason I brought home a Goliath Jr. tonight :) Now if I could figure out how to convert the junior to 8 ohms.....any ideas? I'd also like to trade my Greyish SWR engineering (Junior) grill for a newer chrome on if anyone is interested...I know a lot of guys hate the chrome, I love it.....and I'd like it to match my senior.

Tim

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

I've had no reliability issues whatsoever with the Bass 750. I'll stick with covers for the cab! It's heavy enough.

Can't help ya on the grill thing. I would imagine you could rewire the Jr. for 8 ohms but it might be better to just trade it for an 8 ohm cab. I guess you bought the 4 ohm because that's what was available despite the fact that you wanted an 8?

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yea, I got it because thats what was in the store on consignment, and for $185 I couldn't quite turn it down.

Tim

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I hear ya. Well, whatever you decide, by all means, DON'T run that 750 into a 2 ohm load! You'll risk smokin' it.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Is your cabinet a Goliath Jr. III? My pair of Goliath Jr. III cabs are mismatched: one has that speckled greyish grille, the other chrome. I'd consider trading chrome for grey, as long as the model # isn't downgraded from III to II or anything... :D