An Open Invitation To Multistringers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell has started an online group for multistring bassists, so if you're playing something with 5 or more strings and are looking for some place to ask questions or share ideas, you can hit the link at either of these:

of course there's always the tried and true method of going straight to the source, but then you don't get to check out the pics of an 8 string Conklin or a 9 string Warrior:

hope to see some of you there!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does a 3 stringer count? It has multiple strings.:p
  3. Embellisher,
    one of my all time favorite bass grooves was played on a three string bass. Tony Levin's masterful funk finger played line on "Steam" is about as rockin' as it gets! seriously, though, if you can get anyone interested in hooking up with this forum, I'd appreciate it. I think someone's already approached Turner, but you've been moving in these circles more than I. any recommendations?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh, let's see now. Eli, Dave Grossman, six-and-eightstringer, to start with, and there are plenty more 6+ string maniacs on this board too. I play 5 and 6, but I am a supportive guy, not a soloist, so I'll leave that stuff to you guys.;)
  5. actually, we're just players with lots o' strings. I certainly don't think of myself as a soloist. I don't know about Greg or Jauqo, but I get the sense that most everyone so far considers himself (we're still waiting for women to join) a groover. a lot of the exchanges so far have been about finding gear that reproduces REALLY low notes, the actual frequencies of these same notes... just stuff. if you bump into anyone, though, who you think is interested, could you let them know?

by the way, have you checked out Greg's Warrior? the one at talk about a gorgeous instrument...! I think he said it's the first 9-string with a birdseye maple fingerboard.

anyway, thanks for the time and the words. I'm sure we'll bump into one another before long. take care, man, and take it light,

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, Jaco was one of, if not the best soloist(s) on electric bass I've heard and he only used 4 strings! ;)
  7. Your thread title is misleading. Anything with more than one string is multi-strung.
  8. Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    You... you... you nitpicker!:D
  9. Somehow it seemed a little awkward to phrase it 'An Open Invitation To Women And Men Whose Bass Instruments Have in Excess Of Four Strings Each'. Personally I think the term 'multistring bass' is very silly and wholly inaccurate, but for some reason it was adopted. 'Contrabass' was accepted for the upright how many hundreds of years ago? 'Contrabass guitar' offends those who dislike the 'guitar' portion of the term. 'Subcontrabass' doesn't work because not everyone tunes below the 31Hz B. PLUS... there is the categorization of things like the Stick and other 'touch' style instruments, like Warr and Megatar pieces. I wish it were simpler somehow...

Does anyone have a suggestion for alternative nomenclature?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"More-Than-Four" always worked for me but I'm not anal. (not that anyone here is). ;)
  11. okay, okay, so I'm a big enough dork that I missed the obvious! :D

now if I can just get a handle on playing this bass...

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I believe the commonly accepted term is "extended range" basses.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey! I'm an "Extented Range, more-than-four, multi-stringed" bassist! Well, 5, sure...but beings that I'm GASing for a 4 right now, maybe I'm to much of a turncoat for their liking, hu?
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Does the extended range option include a second gas tank?

;) sorry, I had to
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not for me - my brother in law flies a KC-135. I go for 'mid-set refueling' :D
  16. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    This is Gregory Bruce Campbell, and this is my first post!

Hey stew thanks for being such a diehard to the cause! I really appreciate all I've seen here on talk bass in the last hour or so!

About the 3 string ... if you are serious! I would love to hear from you ... and to have you join the group. I want to see that! Really, everyone is welcome i guess it's just a clear title to our group that says "you better come in here with an OPEN mind" as far what we SHOULD have called it? i agree with all of you, it just seemed like everyone KNOWS what it means... right or wrong kind of like the term "ALTERNATIVE" music huh?

17. I have a 5 string Dingwall and a 6 string on the way. I also am in the process of firing up my second build effort, a seven string fretless. I guess I will check this stuff out, seems pretty interesting.

18. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have to say that after about twenty years focusing on 7 string bass,almost four yearss playing 9 string, 28 yer plying retuned 10 string chapman tick,32 years on 6 string and almot 40 on four string that each instrument is a different experience.I still pull out my 1968 Hofner G 500-1(the blonde beatle bass) and play it caue it feel and sound great.There is world of difference plying "Donn Lee" as Jaco did,and plying as aa piano player does,walking bass while playing the head on a 9 tring bass. it's all good,it' music.heck,I even play a one string bass with a 170mm octve below 4 string bass low E for fun.