Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An open letter to America: International Transactions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marlat, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I notice a lot of sellers have some reluctancies to sell internationally. I've bought 4 or 5 guitars from overseas sellers and have only ever had one minor issue and that was because the seller (without my permission or knowledge) undervalued the goods on the custom's form and I had to go and prove the value to customs.

Its really easy to sell internationally. Here's what you do:

1. Say to the purchaser that the conditions on which you sell internationally are:

(a) the price negotiated is exclusive of shipping - all shipping, insurance and other costs are the responsibility of the buyer;

(b) the buyer can specify the method or shipping and way its shipped (see below) but that you can factor in your costs of doing it that way into the price;

(c) there are no refunds but you will provide any info and photos they want. You are taking a punt if you buy internationally and most buyers know this; and

(d) it must be declared and insured at the full value.

2. If its a bolt-on ship it in two separate packages as a neck and body. Each package is assessed separately for customs and shipping is a lot cheaper. Its also a lot safer and less likely to damage.

3. When negotiating the price remember that there will be added costs (if only minor) on your part so have an idea as to what this is worth to you in extra dollars.

4. If you specify (shipped to lower 48) in the ad, remember that the buyer will expect the cost of shipping in the US deducted from the price negotiated (yes we know its $25-35);

5. Don't ship with a case unless the buyer really wants it. The added shipping weight of a case will generally increase the price of shipping more than the value of a case in the persons home country.

6. If you don't trust the buyer or something doesnt seem right, don't go through with the transaction.

I have had many pleasnt and happy international deals with zero problems for the seller once the items were shipped. There is no reason why this should be hard or avoided. Selling items interally or internationally is about good faith and trust. That is all. Please don't be scared of international buyers. We don't bite!

:D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Great post, Mark!

Full of good info, insight and advice.

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Mark ... thank you for saying what has been on my mind for some time. I'm more than willing to pay money up front, by wire transfer, and to arrange for pick up from my side on these transactions. But I still often get a no; and really for no good reason. Thanks for making the situation clear to all :)

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Why go through all that trouble when a simple "no" will suffice?

:bag:

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have only shipped one item overseas, a Modulus Quantum 5 to TB's Soulbrother. It went a little easier for me because we shipped stuff UPS internationally all the time from my place of employment, so I did all the customs papers myself, online.

But, it still went very easy, with no problems on my end whatsoever. And he had the bass in 3 days. I would do it again, even though I no longer have access to UPS like I used to.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks Mark.

I too have bought a few items from both the states and Canada and they all went very smooth.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is a nice post Mark. I avoid it for all the extra hassle you detailed in your post. Sorry man.....

-Mike

8. Excellent post Mark !!

Like you I have conducted numerous overseas transactions with no problems at all. To me it's all about communication and up front settling of the fine details as you described. :)

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "I have had many pleasant and happy international deals with zero problems for the seller once the items were shipped. There is no reason why this should be hard or avoided. Selling items interally or internationally is about good faith and trust. That is all. Please don't be scared of international buyers. We don't bite!"

+1

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The thing is the most of the extra "hassle" can be taken care of in email upfront. After that the only added hassle is really how the bass is shipped. Ifs its packed up with case and ready to go that could be an added hassle to break it down. If its not, then really the added hassle is nothing! :D

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

+1

;)

12. I've made two offers in the past here at TB about buying a Warwick. What I can't understand is that some sellers are afraid when I mention the word 'Western Union'. Paypal is not available here, so it's that, or wire transfer. But I don't suggest bank transfer to them, since i myself is afraid to divulge account numbers to total stangers. It is us, buyers from overseas, are the ones on the risk of losing, since the seller is the one who'll receive the MONEY first, before shipping the unit out, or not.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Because wiring money like this, has recently been involved in several high-profile fraud cases by organised gangs using eBay!! :meh:

There was a Romanian gang who have recently been exposed and some members imprisoned- but international police investigations suggest that this is just the tip of the iceberg......:(

14. I understand. But there's no risk in the seller's part when the buyer opt for this mode of payment, is it not? Don't ship the bass out unless it's all fully paid for. It's the buyer's risk, since WU payments are untraceable once cashed out.