Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

an open letter to Roger Sadowsky.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 30, 2005.

1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I know Roger frequents these forums so here it goes.

Roger, Just out of curiosity I am wonder why you dont make any neck-thru basses? Also what is you opinion on them compared to bolt-on?

I am just curious, I am starting to build a couple basses as a hobby, just to see if I can pull it off, kind of a cross between one of your 24 fret 5-string and a Fender P-bass in a 4 string config. Neck-thru. Anyways back on subject, I am just curious why you dont do any neck-thru's.

Thanks for your time,
    Mike

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill just take a guess that a ) the fender basses he bases (pun) his designs on are not neck through and b) he gets the parts through an outside source thereore does not make the bodies and necks himself, therefore cannnot.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I believe Roger makes his own bodies. I had read one of those tour articles in BP and it showed him selecting and cutting wood for the bodies. I don't know about the necks but I would guess it has more to do with customer demands than anything else. There is a large number of players that prefer bolt-on for whatever reason.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Roger does frequent these forums often, but I bet he frequents his shop even more often. Have you considered calling him?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    True, id believe that he make his own bodies.

6. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    Subject should be "An open sentence or partial paragraph" to Roger Sadowski................

I was expecting to read a story or something :p

7. mountain drew

mountain drew

Nov 6, 2003
    Michigan
    Go to his website. He clearly answers your question and about a dozen more in the FAQ section.
    He probably gets asked that same question many times, more than likely that's the reason he has the answer on his website.

Andy

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I thought Nino told me he does everything himself (curving the fretboard, making the necks, etc).

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive been confused about it becaise i thought ive read that he does indeed get parts elsewhere, hence why people call him a phony for getting them from warmoth or something, but nino said he later alters everything to his desire?

I honestly have no idea, dont read anything i say.

:bawl:

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Too late, dagnabbit!

11. Where's the Talkbass discount?

12. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Taken from his website...

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Every builder has a different philosophy. Some say neck through, some bolt on, some set neck, some all 3. None is better, just different. We, as players, have our preference also. I love bolt on basses. Some love neck through. Its pretty much for these reasons we build and play what we like. Sorta like blondes, redheads and brunettes LOL

Rob

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Haha, exactly right.

My guess is it's a combination of the original Fender designs being bolt-on, and Sadowsky players preferring bolt-on. Hell, maybe Mr. Sadowsky himself prefers bolt-on necks, and that comes through in the production. :shrug:

15. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow thats news to me, not to knock sadowskys - i think they look and sound (from clips i have heard) amazing, but I always thought they build the guitars themselves - I imagined piles of wood and stuff sitting arround waiting for roger to make a guitar out of it.

I still want one though

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

They very much make the basses, guitars, and hollow body guitars themselves. There are necks, bodies, and finger boards all over the shop. Take a visit and see for yourself

Rob

17. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I know this is gonna sound retarded, but whats the point in buying a bass thats basically "premade". when you could build one or have one built to the exact same specs, and have a "sadowsky" set-up done on it for less than half the price, including the (sadowsky) preamp and pick-ups?

Seriously I want to know, I'm not trying to downplay Sadowsky at all, I really want to know.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ever heard of Valenti? ;)

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I prefer bolt-ons if, for no other reason than the fact that I can replace the neck (in most cases) should I need to. My luthier prefers them as well for the same reason.