1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE RECORDING INDUSTRY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BAG, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Well, it's what I would send to all of them if I was able to..... and that is;

Please stop producing recordings where you use so much compression that you squash all the dynamics out of songs. You are ruining your music.

I understand when CD changers were introduced that you wanted to have the loudest songs in a persons CD collection. It got even worse with the introduction of MP3's and people having their entire music collection on one device to play them all, and you wanted even more to be the loudest songs in their collection.

And you know what... you've wasted your time. You now need to go back and remaster your recordings to put back the dynamic range you squashed out with over-compression over the last 15 years or more.

Why's that?

Well, with the introduction of free programs that will gain normalize all your MP3's we can now have all the songs on our devices playing at the same (or very similar) volume. Your reason for ruining your final productions in an effort to be loud have basically been negated. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before our media players have normalization built in and we won't even have to go to the (minor) trouble of normalizing our collection ourselves.

Seriously, just make the best recording you possibly can and stop trying to make the loudest recording you think you need to be heard in someones collection.

Rant over.....

FilterFunk, Stumbo, GregC and 2 others like this.
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Here's my letter to the recording industry................."Flush the toilet, please!"

Stumbo, OldDog52, lostreality and 3 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Good luck with that.
    :D

4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Not a single person in the record industry will read your letter.

5. 2BitHack

2BitHack

Nov 11, 2014
    AZ
    They can read?

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Ugh...the tired, dead horse topic of overly compressed contemporary music. It's funny, but I never really knew what people were talking about until I listened to Govt Mules "High and Mighty" album, then it became all too apparent. If anyone wants an example of what OP is talking about, it's arguably the most compressed recording to date. I say arguably because I'm probably the first person in history to say so. The RHCP albums of the last two decades are also fine examples, if we're talking about music that people actually listen to. There's enough interweb debate on the topic in general to make one stab themseleves in the face repeatedly with a rusty fork repeatedly at just scratching the surface. Don't go down that rabbit hole. Just let the illuminati do what it's gonna do until the pendulum swings, at which point we'll all be talking about how Rihanna uses too much flanger or something.

7. I know this..... it's just a rant. :D

For those that aren't quite sure what an over-compressed song looks like on a DAW, this graphic below is a prime example of the changes that occurred over the years.... the fact that it uses Rush albums should appeal to many here on TB.

The full article from 2002 can be viewed here.

Here's a youtube with the 1992 version of Nirvana's "Carmudgeon" versus the 2004 version. In the original it has room to breathe and you can hear the snare and the bass so much better. The 2004 version on the other hand sounds like mush. It has also been proven that over-compressed songs are more aurally fatiguing meaning you basically get tired of hearing it more quickly. (please don't listen to it on a crap computer sound system and then claim there's little difference...... if you're listening on a half decent sound system you'll hear it)

Rush.JPG

FilterFunk likes this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're misunderstanding the real point of the loudness wars.

Highly compressed songs sound louder at the same peak volume level because the quiet parts are boosted. Gain normalizing programs have minimal impact.

Bodeanly likes this.
  9. Please no more crapgaeton and Cold play silly songs.
    And make better songs no videos.

10. You are correct to a certain extent when talking about programs that simply use "Peak Normalisation" however the better programs actually analyse the songs to determine how loud it sounds to the human ear and adjust accordingly. What this means is that the quieter songs will usually have louder or more apparent peaks (think snare and other loud sharp sounds) than the compressed tracks which will be normalised to a lower peak gain level.

Over the past couple of months i've gain normalized all my travelling music and I can tell you that i'm tweaking the volume a LOT less. It's made for a much more enjoyable listening experience especially when listening to a big collection in shuffle mode.

11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Digital recording has come a long way in the past 5 or 6 years. Although some engineers still record using analog techniques and older hardware. And for good reason, they spent a ton of cash building their systems in the 1990s, and tuning their ears to the analog sound. On the other hand, today's modern digital recording equipment have huge headroom for volume, and producers use every bit of it without much compression and minimal limiting. Why, because they're trying to keep their volumes as loud as the Advertising market industry ads.

Nevertheless. Digital recording has become so available to the masses, that anyone, anyone, can create digital recordings without going through the Recording Industry. And if they don't know how to mix and master, the results will speak for itself.

Neil Young contends that in the past 25 years the quality of audio music has hit a all time low with the deterioration of mp3 and other compressed audio formats. So much so that people have become conditioned to accepting low quality audio music as the standard. Add the fact that a lot of mp3 players and headphone/earphones are enhanced, and you have a different type of sound, a different type of clarity and bass.

With all that said, loud music can sound great, but can also hurt the ears.