Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

an original (I think) KSD Jazz question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Mar 23, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Did a search (just to eliminate the "DO A SEARCH" responses).

Didn't see any information here or on the web on the neck construction. Does it have graphite (or other) reinforcement? Is it a 1 way or 2 way trussrod? 1 piece neck?

I am still looking for a jazz (4 string). I keep going back to building a Warmoth since I can pick everything, but the KSD looked good enough to at least consider. I would even consider a MIA Fender now that it has a reinforced neck, but they are a bit pricey for what you get.

Here is what I want in a bass:

-volume,volume,bass,treble or volume,blend,bass,treble config.
    -series/parallel (this is a MUST) and active/passive switch (wired into volume pots would be ok...)
    -classic 70s jazz look...maple on maple with MOP blocks, clear ash body, tort pickguard
    -I wouldn't mind single coils as long as they weren't as noisy as the Skyline JO (great tone, noisy pups solo...). If a dualcoil had a good single coil tone, that would be ok also.

2. Hey Sheepdog,
    The neck on my KSD appears to be one piece. I don't know about graphite reinforcement or the truss rod. I tweaked mine the other day and the truss rod definitely works. It has that classic 70s, Marcus Miller J-bass look. It's a black pickguard, although a tortoise one would look great. It doesn't have the series/parallel switch, though. You pull up on the volume knob to go passive. I disagreed with the BP review which said the passive mode appeared to be "strictly a dead-battery workaround," or something. I'm digging mine in passive mode. It's loud as hell. When BP says it has a big dropoff in output from active to passive, they must be leaving it in the amp's active input. I love the bass and would highly recommend it.

3. Hey Sheepdog , just my opinion but I've owned alot of fender style basses over the years and for what its worth I think the graphite steel bar or whatever the latest reinforcment material is these days is not a feature that makes or breaks a good sounding or playing bass, My main bass these days is a 62 reissue P that to my knowledge has no reinforcement whatsoever and has for years been the most easily adjustable neck I've ever owned. IMO if you keep your bass out of extreme weather conditions most decent maple necks that are tweaked properly will not go bad for lack of reinforcement YMMV

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    is there enough room in the cavity for a separate series/parallel switch?

Only other option I could think is to add a passive tone knob with a push/pull series/parallel...

That is just a big point for me.