Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An SVT is on the way...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Apr 6, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Thanks to all of you who gave their opinions and advices about my sensible choice in the thread titled "The ultimate SVT" that I started a few days ago.

After thinking twice and even more, I finally chose to order an SVT-CL head. I remember the "genuine" SVT I had (model from the mid-70's) sounded great, even with the tone control knobs on the flat position. This means I finally thought the 9-band EQ wouldn't be very useful to me. About the weight, I'm gonna get a flight-case with casters, this will help much.

The cabinet I chose is an SVT-810E.

I sent the order today... You know what ? I'm happy :D

Thanks again to all,

All the best,

2. Sweet! I'm going to be joining you with pretty much the same rig in a small while. Did you go used or new?

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nomadic Herder : I bought it new. I didn't want a used one, since I needed to have the seller/dealer close to me in case of any problem, and there are no used SVT's for sale in my region.

All the best,

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    can i ask you from which mailorder did you but the head?
    thanks

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Barroso : sorry, what I wrote is not what I meant, but thanks for your question that makes me realize I did a mistake.

Well, now the correction : I ordered it from my local dealer, since I didn't want to get a used one by mail order or from someone far away .
    I could have purchased it new from a far away dealer, and probably get a slightly better price, but I wanted to have the dealer close to me in case of any problem.

For a complete understanding, I must specify I live in a region with very few musicians and retailers around. So any SVT I could have found used would probably have been owned from someone living far away, or from a dealer far away too...

And anyway, I never saw a used SVT-CL for sale in France (though there probably were a few)...

All the best,

6. congratulations! I'm sure you'll love it!

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    that is a great rig, itll last you a lifetime. enjoy it! (i am extrememly jealous)

8. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Fantastic; you made a good choice. There's nothing like getting hit in the chest by tube power.

9. Congrats Jay!!! :)

I read your post but have`nt responded until now.
    I`ve always been partial to the look of the SVT-CL(I`m a sucker for vintage and retro stuff).Started to fart around with them at GC and I can tell you that even with my limited bass amp expearience I pegged the SVT as a winner! Now,if I could only afford one!

:( :p Post some mp3s of how she sounds.

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Usul,

I must acknowledge that among the 4 SVT models I was considering, the CL and the 4-PRO were those I found were the best looking. IMVHOAT, the ugliest of these is the SVT-2PRO... About the SVT-3PRO, I stopped considering it at all.

But as I explained, the tone is much more important to me than the look, even if, in this case, the SVT-CL looks quite fine (still IMVHOAT).

The 2PRO's 9-band EQ is useless to me, and the 3PRO's MosFet power section inspires me much about reliability than about tone. The CL was THE choice for me. I did it.

All the best,

11. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Graphic eq is not the only difference between st-cl and svt2pro. The 2pro have a different preamp, with five 12ax7 tubes, have a drive control, that give you the possibility of an unlimited number of sounds. but SVT is ...THE SVT:) It sound much fatter than svt2 pro, but from an svt2 pro is possible to get a svt-cl like sound, a svt-cl can't give you a modern sound if you need...
    My congratulation for you cabinet, ampeg8x10" is my dream cab, but it is toooo much heavy for me:)
    I think you can be satisfied from your head,
    good music:)

12. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Good choice man. I've got the SVT-AV head with an SVT610hlf and I love it. Give us an update on how you like it when you get it up and running.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah baby!!!! I knew you would take the plunge, There's no going back you know ;)
    Congrats Jay and enjoy