Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An underrated bassist...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by graniteboy, Aug 8, 2001.

1. graniteboy

graniteboy

Aug 15, 2000
    Mike Rutherford is an excellent bass player who doesn't receive nearly the recognition he deserves, probably because he's known more as the "guitarist" for Genesis/Mike & the Mechanics.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Agreed. At the risk of sounding like Patrick Bateman, I think Rutherford's best work can be found on the post-Gabriel albums, particularly "Duke".

3. bassman192

bassman192

Aug 12, 2001
    *bump to top*

i agree.

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Allaa Woody May he rest in peace Is the most underated Bass Player (Gov't Mule Allman Brothers )

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Beefcake, the Mighty -- of GWAR! I think GWAR also deserves the title for most underrated band.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    :D
    Steffan lessard from dave mathews band is one to me! What he plays in some of his tunes is what most bass players consider a solo! But i dont think the average person can notice because he is so smoth at it!

7. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Agree with Eric, Steffan is an amazing creative musician. I think he's underrated mostly because it's hard to hear him through the mixes. But when you do hear him, he's usually laying down a classy phat groove...

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    JUSTIN MELDAL-JOHNSEN!!!

(Beck)

9. Every one of those guys listed is quite the underrated bassist. I really dig Stefan's playing, I just wish they'd turn him up some more

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You're kidding, right?

My vote goes towards Levin and his 3 string axe.

11. Robert Sledge from Ben Folds five is very very underrated....He tricked so many people into thinking the band had a guitarist and not only that he had great grooves, super good lead parts, and he sang at the same time! Fantastic all around!

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have 2, Lenny Kravitz and Micheal Henderson, the guy that played on all of Norman Conners albums. As a 35 year old, I'll admit that I'm not a Limp Bizkit fan, but I do recognize the fact that Sam Rivers is a very good bassists. I think the he gets props for being in that band, and not necessarily for his actual playing. If you cut through Fred's irritating vocals, you'll hear some melodic basslines.

13. You wanna talk about an underrated bassist. What about Daryl Jennifer, the bassist for one of the most underrated bands ever Bad Brains. That guy is underrated. Steffan Lessard... Give me a brake, hes alright but nothing new and certainly very much noticed, considering hes in one of the most popular bands out there right now. In a band that could be very much considered overrated.

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    After listening to the newest Chicago Live album I think that Jason Scheff would qualify as being underrated. He's a fantastic player and has done a phenomenal job in taking over Peter Ceteras role in the band.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Phil was (is?) an amazing drummer... too bad his ego got out of control...

16. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Now if only we could do something about Phil... [/B][/QUOTE]

Phil, although an outstanding drummer, I'm afraid may be to far gone. Let's bring back Anthony Phillips. That being siad, there is a new Genesis boxed set out that covers material from 1967 - 1975 on a 4 CD set including a live version of Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Genesis live in my home town in 1973 when they had Peter Gabriel. But Phil Collins did get up from behind the drums to sing one song with just acoustic guitar backing. He said that it was his first time singing in public - so I guess you can trace the decline back to that day huh?! ;)

18. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I have said for years the most underrated bass
    player in rock history is Kenny Gradney of Little
    Feat. Ritchie Hayward gets a lot of credit for
    the Feat groove but you don't get a groove like
    that going for years on end without a fantastic
    bass player. He *never* plays a wrong note and is
    always tasteful as hell.

Scott

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd also have to go with Walter Becker, even though he's a guitarist. Besides, I think that Steely Dan was one of the greatest bands, or duo!, EVER!!!!:)

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I actually like Rutherford's pre-split stuff too...no less than after Gabes left.

Underrated bassist??? Kip Winger:p ;)