An Unfortunate GC Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter Wagstaff, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    Made the mistake of ordering a used amplifier from GC online sight unseen (except for the one picture in the listing). I had it shipped from one store to another, so I can't really blame the store I picked it up from since it was still packaged. The condition was listed as good, functioning but with scratches/dents. However, when I got it unpacked and tested it, obviously the speaker is broken (sounds terrible and distorted, but sounds fine when bypassed with headphones). Additionally, when the treble EQ is turned up it becomes noisy, and when the reverb control is turned up it picks up interference (radio and whatnot).

I have contacted customer service and asked about refunds/returns/repair. I am worried that even with a refund I will lose the money I spent on shipping. Has anyone had similar experiences? I would love some tips or advice.

If you are curious, it is an old Roland Cube 60 Keyboard Combo (CK60). I have been wanting one of these old cubes for a while now since they are the perfect size for a practice amp and within my small budget. I was originally going to buy one of the orange bass models, but I found this cheap silver keyboard one that I figured I could use for keyboard, guitar, bass, or whatever really. The speaker is 12", and maybe I could take the path of replacing it if it is not too expensive. Anyone have speaker suggestions? Could it be another problem?

I am pretty sour about the whole thing right now hence this post... I suppose this is what I get for buying used gear online and for trusting GC (they even listed it as an "Acoustic Guitar Combo" so they must be clueless). Anyways, what should I do? Return it and lose money over the whole thing? Keep it and spend more money on repairs? Use it with headphones only? Use it as an expensive side table or foot rest?

Try before you buy!

2. If you are firm with the local manager on the "this isn't as advertised" issue, you should get a full refund, including shipping costs. A blown speaker is definitely worthy of falling under that category. If the store manager gives you any guff, call corporate while you're still standing there in the store.

3. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I believe the GC website says they refund less shipping on used gear. I had a used item arrive DOA once and was refunded less shipping. I'll take the risk for a good deal or a rare item.

dralionux and Jim C like this.
  4. It is broken and never should have left the store.
    Shipping to your local store is great, always try out a used amp, bass or other gear on the sales floor where you can rejected it and get a refund instantly.

Return it.

abarson likes this.
  5. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    If you paid with a credit card and it isn't as represented, you might have some leverage with the manager

Lammchop93, wave rider and wcriley like this.
  6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Get a manager, talk to them one on one, get the shipping refunded. Tell them you are really disappointed. They shipped you a hunk of junk! Just be firm, don't let them win. I have successfully done this before! Just keep stating how unhappy you are. Don't throw a tantrum though, that will not be too helpful! ;)

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I don't know if the policy has been changed but previously if something was obviously bad they would either repair it or refund the full purchase price including shipping.

The current policy does simply state:
    If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in its original condition within the return period and we’ll give you a full refund of the purchase price, excluding shipping and handling charges.
    I am pretty sure there used to be a caveat for items that were non-functional or not as described, but keep in mind Guitar Center did recently file for Bankruptcy.

The recommendation to get your credit card company to engage on your behalf is a good idea IMHO.

Also here's another way you can get hosed:
    Title to Products Shipped
    All items purchased from Guitar Center are made pursuant to a shipment contract. This means that the risk of loss and title for such items passes to you upon our delivery to the carrier.​

8. Those Roland CK60s (with the rectangular tweeter) are kinda fragile speaker-wise.
    They are somewhat nostalgic for me because we had a lot of them in Toronto in one of the borough school-boards.

I believe they did not actually have speaker protection like the later FFP-based amps had. When I was in school, there were always a few in for repair, and often due to failed/burnt out speaker or dry speaker wire insulation (it flaked off in your hand if you touched it) ...

Totally repairable, but pretty touchy. The preamp in them, though, is bulletproof. I've seen one take AC line voltage through the input jack and survive. Crazy.

9. Peter Wagstaff

Peter Wagstaff

Jun 10, 2019
    I hear you all. The best move right now is probably to take it back to the store and talk to them there about returns. I will ask if they think they could repair it, but I think there are more problems than just a blown speaker. I found a seller with the parts of a CK60 (preamp, speaker, reverb), but I'd be taking my chances replacing things myself. The parts and shipping would probably run $100+ easily, so at that point I might as well get a refund and spend more than my original budget on a better condition or newer model amp. I guess it's back to searching listings!

Wasnex, frankie5string and Jim C like this.
  10. JC0313

JC0313

Jul 19, 2020
    California
    Take it back to the store for a full refund. Last year I ordered a used Spector Q4 from a GC location far away to be delivered to my house. Described as "good condition".

There were med sized chunks of wood missing from the edge of the body at the top and also near the controls at the bottom of body. Like it had been dropped or squished between two hard objects. Looked like new damage as the wood underneath was still clean.

I took it to the local GC store to return. They took a look at the bass and then the add on their sight and promptly refunded money with shipping.

A few days later it was listed on the stores website for the same price still labeled as "good condition ".

11. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    THIS

I would never buy used gear from GC and have it shipped to my house.

Have it shipped to the store, unpack it right there, make sure the condition is as described and test it right there on site.

I would do this even though for me the closest GC is like a 100 mile round trip.

Analogeezer

stubborne and Gearhead17 like this.
  12. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Unfortunately, "Unfortunate" and "GC Experience" are kind of the same LOL.

It's very common for their used gear to not be up to snuff, so ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have it shipped to a local store, and inspect and test it on site.

As far as the OP's experience goes, I think if he goes back to the store and points out all the stuff that is wrong, they would stand up for him with corporate and get the shipping refunded.

I can understand why GC does not routinely refund the shipping as some people probably abuse the refund policy, buy gear they decide they don't want after it gets delivered even though it might be fine.

Frankly if was something heavy, easily damaged but still new I would have it shipped to a GC even if I ordered it new online. That way if your cool new bass shows up as a pile of kindling or has serious flaws you have recourse.

Analogeezer

13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It's on them to test it before shipping it. they owe you money for the item and shipping. if not, dispute it on a credit card and youll win

Gearhead17 likes this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    That's how it works. I had a manager override it once on something that was clearly broken, but you can't always count on that happening.

15. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    The amp is clearly “Not as described”you are due a complete refund, shipping included. Most managers will agree. If they do not, dispute the charge with your credit card.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022