1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

An unsung Detroit Bass Hero our own...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by burk48237, Jan 1, 2012.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    James Simonson!

Detroit has a lot of incredible bass players, some of which show up here, Mikebass, Gordy-oh, Kerry Lacy, Shelly, Jason, are all first class players who get some great gigs. And Mike Harrington, Jimmy Ali, And Kern Brantley (Lady Gaga) are among the many "locals" who are monster players.

But one guy who manages to fly under the radar and post here a bit is James Simonson who has been on the road with the Lion King (I subbed for him at church during some of that gig). Anyway here's some samples of another Detroit monster player who has great musical skills. Or Skillz in the D!

With David Sanborn:

David Sanborn Chicago Song - YouTube

Bass Solo with Zap Toto:

Zap Toro Live at The Magic Bag (James Simonson solo) - YouTube

2. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Woot! Simonson is the real deal. He has this amazing presence on stage. He's also probably one of the most intuitively musical bass players I heard while I lived in SE MI. The stuff with the Brothers Groove is legendary!

3. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    +1...he knows his way around building and the vintage instrument hunt as well.