Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An upgrade is due.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eagle17, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Well I have been playing bass for a relatively short amount of time, only a couple months or so, but I can already tell I was born to be a bass man. The bass I use now is a silvertone crusher, it came in a package deal from a CD store {hey, I didnt know I would like it}. It claims to have a "solid agathis hardwood body" {whatever that means} and "A rosewood fingerboard", as well as a few embelished features.

Now the bass is fine, and its good for what I do now which is practice. However, I am looking to invest in the near future in something a little more substantial with a nice rich tone. Not something that will last forever but something to give me a couple years to save up for a custom. I guess my price range is low, hopefully under 300 but it could be more it would just take me longer to save up {damn student loans}.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Eagle17

2. for cheap basses you cant beat ibanez and dean in my opinion. some people say the rougues arent too bad. If you could get into the $500 to $600 range you could get a dramatically better instrument than @ $300, unless you got one used.

3. Diomedes

Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Ibanez makes the best low-end basses by far, but I would try and save for a Fender standard Precision or Jazz.

Either way you'll be happy.

4. I agree that a Mexican Fender would probably be the best choice. Though a little pricier than you want (and I do understand how hard money is to come by), I think it would be worth the extra time spent saving. These basses are easy to find in stores, too, so you will have lots of opportunity to decide between a P and a J, and hopefully find the instrument you really love. Even if you don't go for a Fender, be sure to hit the shops. Gotta try things to know if you'll like them, right?

5. My teacher was telling me today that the value of a 1000 dollar bass compared to a 3-400 dollar bass is substantially higher, so I think I will just wait a while to upgrade!

Thanks for the input.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Get what YOU feel best and happiest playing, regardless of what it costs (within reason :D ). The best part of bass shopping is going to a bunch of stores with money in your pocket and "playing the field." You'll know what you like when you play it.

$300-400 basses have come a long way from where they used to be. If I were looking to spend only that much, I'd probably beg Hambone (a poster here) to trick out an SX bass. You'd get one fabout the price of an MIM Fender which would have the personal touch and attention that's usually impossible to find in that price range.

OF course, you could save up and get a Lakland . . . :D

7. Whats a lakland and also what is a stratosvky {sp?} that I keep hearing so much about and why is there a number after the word...i.e stratosvky #1...#2?

8. Sadowsky...and the number after the name is just a serial number. As in what number the bass was built out of x amount of basses, the lower the number the earlier the bass.
    Lakland is another Fender type instrument, they're also great basses.

9. Good to know, so I think Im going to increase my budget to well no consequence...I just found out I have access to a trust fund since Im in college now so Im looking to get a lifetime instrument. Something that sounds amazing unwired because thats one of the things I dont like about my current one.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You really haven't been playing for all that long. My advice is to wait a while, try lots of different basses to figure out what you like, such as:

Single coils or humbuckers?
    Bolt on or neck-thru?
    Slim neck or fat?
    Wide string spacing or narrow?
    Lighter or heavier?

Lots of things to work out before you really go all out.

11. Thats some good advice, tell ya what since I only know what two of those options are I will give it some time and post later when I have more of an idea of what I want.

Thanks again.

12. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i am amazed at the value of the peavey bxp line of basses - wish they had been around when i was starting out playing!