1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anadime and JAM chorus- Better than Bass Clone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazznrick, Jan 5, 2018.

1. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    so when I got into effects I quickly realized od/fuzz was my calling and chorus was their right hand man, partner in crime, and “the man behind the man”. Yes, you are right. I love the Smiths and Joy % and that scene too much.

So when I look at how much time, money and effort I’ve put into dirt and look at my EHX Bass Clone, I must ask you-
    Is the Anadime Bass Chorus or the Jam Waterfall Bass worth looking in to? Or is the Bass Clone that freaking good? Thanks so much guys and gals

2. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I recently sold my JAM Waterfall (regular, not bass version) and still have the Bass Clone on my board. What I can say, is that the JAM has a wonderful, rich top end that sounds very hi-fi. I loved it, but I missed the wonderful crossover of the Bass Clone and the Waterfall didn't have enough low end for me to ignore the utility of the Bass Clone. That being said, the bass version may solve all of my issues with the Waterfall, and I hope to try one out eventually because I love the company and aesthetics.

I've tried a ton of chorus pedals and I really think that the Bass Clone is just that good. The only chorus that I prefer is my 70's Clone Theory.

smogg and jazznrick like this.
  3. jazznrick

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    Thanks so much for commenting. I’d seen your JAM coming on “We don’t need no rehab”
    Great insight.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I use chorus and dirt in a similar setting - the Iron Ether Polytope is incredible. Might want to put it on the list...

Driven Crane and jazznrick like this.
  5. jazznrick

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    I got excited and went to look and... 6 knobs and 3 switches! Oh man, things do not go well for me with that amount of control.

6. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had them all, including the Polytope. The Anadime is still glued to my board. It's the most natural sounding by far.

7. Just an observation, it amazes me that EHX makes such great and affordable products people will make comparisons to much (much) more expensive effects.

jazznrick and alecduncan like this.
  8. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Unfortunately, with chorus pedals, you get what you pay for.

9. I get you but I still like my cheap effects pedals the most, maybe that makes me old school.

Buzz E likes this.
  10. jazznrick

Apr 28, 2006
    Woodlands, Texas
    To both above, I started this thread because I sometimes can’t believe how good the Bass Clone is for 68 bucks. I found it to be better than the tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus, and that one had a street price of 170 IIRC.

On the other hand, 89.3% of EHX stuff is a step up from Mooer. That same stuff is also the exact number of steps down in that tower in Bruges from “top shelf”

alecduncan likes this.
  11. Maybe this subject is a discussion for elsewhere, on one hand I am very interested and impressed with all the effects builders and the broad selection of effects out there today*, and I certainly have a few favorite builders but my preference is still for cheap effect boxes as toys over more expensive offerings. I do not mean this as a put down just my personal preference.

My all time favorite chorus is the Ibanez CS9 that is now available in a mini format that I really want to check out as it has an added level control.

jazznrick likes this.
  12. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I had a Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus for years, but I have to agree that I prefer the Bass Clone. I usually agree with you, cheaper pedals usually are heavily flawed for gigging, but the EHX Bad Stone and Bass Clone are notable exceptions - I don't get how they made such cheap pedals so sturdy, great sounding, and hum-free.

jazznrick likes this.
  13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I briefly had a Bass Clone that I wanted to love, but it was in fact; noisy. I tried to ignore the hiss/hum, but it got to me in the end. I still think it’s a stellar pedal.

The Bass Boost Chorus is a pedal that I love to death also, because I found I liked the way the detuning effect gave me a chorus without all the chorus setbacks: i.e. wobbly sounds and garbled lows. I’m a simpleton though, and the Boost Chorus has way too much going on in terms of eq and coloration.

Fast forward: I bought the Digitech Luxe and it’s absolutely perfect. It’s only the detune, which I love, and nothing else.

14. May need to look into the luxe... my PS3 does kinda the same thing but I hate that it fluctuates between the detuned and normal pitch. Hmmm

Deak likes this.
  15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    The most common chorus is boss and eh.. I have a boss ps3 detune is ok.. I prefer flanger.. Played boss ce2 and eh clone. just not a fan. I use taurus Chorus.. Its a multi chorus. I use the enhance and depth knob no detune.. Sounds like thunder.. Awesome even the flanges kill..

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I got a Luxe for my GF recently. She loves it on guitar. But she likes it even better when it’s used with a bass. The detuning without the LFO oscillation is a really nice textural effect. Lots to like.

CapnSev and Deak like this.
  17. Deak

Deak

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    The Luxe is a keeper on my board. Just enough detune to fill any kind of "shallow" tone I might think I hear. Used with other effects, it can bring out some very subtle underlying additional effects that to me are a bonus.

The Anadime has been on my list for a very long time but the cost has a hold on my trigger finger.

18. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

That is, if we're all looking for the same thing

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

I like the Waterfall... Just ordered the waterfall bass version. Had to sell a few things but I can't wait for it to arrive.