Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anaesthesia(Pulling Teeth) and pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ironmaidenisgod, Jun 5, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Hope there are metal bass players here who can :help: (help).

I don't have a distortion pedal.I played the opening lines to this solo without it and it didn't sound the same.Are there tricks to playing without a waw-waw pedal so that it sounds like you are using it?

BTW Cliff Burton rocks. :bassist:

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No technique will give you sounds like distortion or wah-wah.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Buy the pedals and play it right, yo!

4. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Thanks guys.

Could you recommend a cheap make?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This song is the reason i bought my first two pedals. Bought a Boss ODB-3 overdrive/distortion pedal and a Dunlop GCB-100 crybaby wah. Sounds pretty good for the song.

7. As for the wah-wah, you could pop the strings when the wah first comes in, and anyhhere else, bend them.

8. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Not the same effect.

9. I use boss ODB-3 and a Morley classic wah, sounds pretty cool, not exactly like cliff but then again I didn't want to sound exactly like cliff so Im happy!

Cliff himself uses an electroharmonix big muff (as seen above) and a Morley Power wah. With those two, a nice rickenbaker or Aria pro bass, Long wavy hair and a lightning fast fretting hand you can pretty much bring cliff back from the grave. You need an amp also of course and if you ever did bring cliff back from the grave heed probably kick your ass not only on the bass but in person as well (Im rambling now)

:bassist:

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is safely on the topic of the effects forum now. Let's move it there...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Big Muff and a Morley Wah did me well. You can get a BMP off eBay pretty cheap, and I even do a mod for added bass response. Ask MJ5150 for his opinion, he loves it!

Other than that, I haven't been able to get very close with a Crybaby or a Boss Bass Overdrive, but some claim they can.

12. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    What mod do you do to the muff?

13. yea, i'd like to learn aobut that too. if i can even reverse it back to being the guitar pedal it is also, that'd be cool. The distortion is bassy, but not bassy enough

14. bboy

bboy

Feb 23, 2004

Not that it matters much, but I think Cliff used the Russian one. I might be wrong though. ;)

15. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    i use a DOD FX86B Death Metal distortion with Dunlop 105Q wah. the DOD is a bit too harsh, and has crazy background noise, but you can find them cheap.