1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analog delay without a hard cut?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timi, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I'm after a delay pedal that lets the delays ring out when its turned off, rather than the hard cut that most do. I'm considering the Boss RE-20 Space Echo since I love the real RE-201 I borrow off my uncle sometimes, but would rather have a more simple analog pedal.

The Ibanez AD-9 is a pedal I really like, but it has a hard cut and I assume the Maxon versions are the same. I'm not interested in pedals like the DD-20, DL6, Echo Park ect.

Can anyone think of any analog delays that don't do a hard cut?

2. Or another thought, can an AD-9 be easily modded to fade out?

3. get a boss ps-3

4. Haha, a really cool pedal, a band I really like called Cave In use them heavily. Not quite what I'm going for....

5. If I remember correctly the Diamond Memory Lane can do that. I think the Toneczar Echoczar (sp?) has that option too, but they are really expensive and have a long waiting list for their pedals. I know Malekko has some new analog delays, but I dont know how the bypass is set up.

6. The echo part, which I know you mentioned you dont want, does that.

Or is it for a different reason that you dont want one.

7. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    So you want some delayed notes to fade out while you go on to play something else that's not delayed? I suck at explaining things. it would be an easy DIY box, all it would be is a slightly modified true bypass loop. The output from the loop would be directly connected to the output of the box, so when the effect is bypass, any notes that are still fading out in the delay will be mixed with your clean signal. Then you could use any delay you wanted

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use an Ibanez DE7, and I love it's echo mode. It decays very nicely.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The Pigtronix Phi Echolution fits the bill perfectly methinks. I believe that it's a digitally controlled analog delay and the "trails" (what you want) can be turned on and off.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't be without mine now!

Those things are just made for bass. The reverb, for example has a low-end rolloff that's perfect - never muddies-up the instrument.

And the multi-taps: There's a natural chorusing that goes on between the 'playback heads'... subtle, but just killer - and you can use the last setting.. (is #11? - well, it's all-three playback heads, anyway) as a short, naturally 'gated' sounding kind of reverb.

Joe

11. Why didn't I think of that! I could use my Barge Concepts blender to mix between the delay and dry signals, with a simple killswitch infront of the delay.

Still tempted by the RE-20 though, just beucase I love the RE-201 so much, apart from all the noise and loss of low end..... Does the RE-20 do that too?

12. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    The Digitech Digidelay does that but then again it's digital.

EDIT: some of the pedals you mentioned before are digital FYI.

13. I am aware of that, but the only digital pedal I am considering is the RE-20 which is a tape delay sim. I would still feel more comfortable with an analog delay though.

14. while we're at it...

Akai headrush fades out, and does a reasonable impression of an analogue delay thanks to the HF damp control, but it's digital at heart.

15. Line 6 DL-4 does that.

16. Well the Malekko Ekko 600 is supposed to do that. Based on the website ...

In a stereo set-up, the 2nd wet output allows the delay regen to naturally fade out after you turn it off!

Now I'm not sure if you can just plug a 1/4 plug into the one output and just use the 2nd output to make use of the naturally fade out. I'm thinking about this analog delay, but I haven't had a good chance to play with out. I'm also trying to avoid GAS, because I know as soon as I try it ... it will be coming home with me.

17. blue209

blue209

Dec 16, 2006
    NoHo, CA
    Don't quote me on this but I believe you have to be using both outputs (stereo) for that effect to work. I don't think there's a dry out from the second output, so it will fade out like you want after you bypass it but it fades out to nothing. As in there's no signal going from the second output when bypassed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's a way to get around this. I've only used the pedal in the store for a short time so I may not have been using it properly.

18. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Only if stick it in the non true bypass settting thus rendering it to sound like total arse.

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh - in the noise department, it's quite UN-like the original! No noise, even with huge amounts of regen.

As for loss of low-end: The dry or bypassed signal has none that has troubled me (though I don't use Acme cabs). There is definate low-end rolloff on the echoed signal AND the 'verb - I wouldn't like it near as much if there weren't! Like I said before: this rolloff - especially on the reverb section - is what makes it so perfect for bass! The lows can be made flatter by boosting the bass knob; the two tone controls only affect the effect, not the dry signal.

What I've found interesting is that I DO notice a slight high-end rolloff of the clean signal when the pedal's engaged; works-out fine for me though...

Joe

20. Cool, a bit of bass loss is part of the space echo sound and will help not to muddy things up, but thats cool that the dry and bypassed sounds aren't bass cut like the original.

I'm sold on the RE-20, I think.....

Cheers for the help guys!