1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analog Man TS9-DX... Silver or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by robinje, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I am on the verge of buying an Analog Man modded Ibanez TS9-DX. Should I go for the Silver mod (less mid hump) or just get the non-Silver version.

Thanks!

2. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man he has some much great stuff. I would vote non...or both if you can. ;)

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TBH neither of them is particularly known for low end, so I wouldn't get either one without a blender loop or parallel amp. Plus there are loads of bass-friendly tubescreamer clones on the market nowadays, so I wouldn't waste one dollar on even the "finest" tubescreamer that wasn't spec'd for bass.

If you are set on it, I'd say mids are a bassist's friend; the whole point of the flatter-response versions appeals to guitarists who don't need a mid peak to cut through.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I thought with the DX version, there is a turbo mode where there is no low end loss, and it's even better with the mod. Also the reviews of it on this are excellent - http://www.analogman.com/ts9dx.htm

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The info on Mike's site state that the tone capacitor is bigger - this could well mean that the tone control now works over a lower frequency spectrum, not that the over frequency response is suitable for bass. It's been a while since I looked a TS circuit, but it's not uncommon for guitar distortion pedals to have a fixed high-pass filter at the input to filter out bass frequencies that, when distorted, sound pretty naff.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, the rave reviews on his site include some raves specifically re bass... but there are bass raves there for the CompRossor as well, and I personally don't agree with that view.

7. Dude, the CompROSSor is awesome. Perhaps Analog Man devices are just not your cup o' tea. Good luck!

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The CompRossor is indeed awesome, as long as you don't mind some rolloff of the lows, which is a widely acknowledged fact about all Ross clones without a specific bass mod which the Analogman pedal does not have. Read my review of the BiComp- I like Mike's work quite well, just not the loss of lows inherent to non-bass-specific Ross clones and Tubescreamers.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to own an Analogman TS9DX....fabulous pedal. No loss of lows in a couple of the modes. I would personally like to try the silver mod though. I think it would make a great pedal even better.