Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Analog Missionary - Transmitter

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I just got this cd, and am floored by it. It would be hard to pin down a genre, but imagine Tori Amos* mixed with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and maybe a tiny bit of Nine Inch Nails.

These guys do something I really admire: mix ambience and noise with great songwriting, something with which most noise/ambient musicians have a hard time. The compositions are gorgeous, and the band really create a sound all their own. The playing is great on everyone's part, and the vocals are fantastic. The sound ranges from soft and acoustic, to a little prog (but not in the wanky way), to slightly industrial, but never sounds fractured or contrived - these influences are all blended superbly.

This is TB'er Xush's band, but, unfortunately, he doesn't play on this record, so I can't make fun of his playing on it. ;) He plays drums in the band. He even managed to get his bandmates to sign it for me - too kind!

* When I site Tori, I'm talking about her music mostly; I'm not trying to say Anstrom sounds like Tori, because she doesn't really. Musically, think Precious Things on Little Earthquakes (which I love!)

I hope Mark doesn't find my description wildly off base and misleading - feel free to step in and knock some sense into me if need be.

So, anybody else have this record?

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    wow.... i want one.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have this CD as well and it's fantastic. Allow me to echo everything you've just said and add that in addition to being excellent musicians, they're some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I got to meet all of them at xush's Bass Summit in Mobile this past August and got to jam with all of them, talk music/gear, and just have a great time hanging out for a couple of days with them in their studio.

They have also composed an original score to the silent film Nosferatu which they perform live in theaters as the movie is playing. There was a thread where Mark/xush had posted some bites that I'll try to find and link up. I was wanting to go to a show they had scheduled in Birmingham last October, but that little b***h Murphy and his freakin law stepped in at the last minute and I wasnt able to see it. I believe they're putting together a CD of the score. Maybe it'll be available soon. I will definitely be gettig a copy of it!!

I'm trying to schedule a weekend where I can drive back down to Mobile and catch a show and hopefully hang out with them again.

Here's their website: Analog Missionary

[​IMG]
    Analog Missionary
    Back row: Mark/xush: Drummist and Kevin: Guitars
    Seated: Tony: Bass/Stick/Keys and Anstrom: Vocals/Theremin

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh, I forgot... There is also a video for the song "Lilith" from Transmitter on the AM website..

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I also have this CD and its been in the studio CD player for a long time now. CJ's critique is spot on if you ask me. I have the video of Mark playing drums with them.

This is one heck of a group; i'd love to see them live.

6. Analog

Analog

Aug 28, 2003
    Hey Guys! Thanks for the kind words! Mark (Xush) is going to post a link here to some of our music from our newest project "Voyage of the Demeter". He has been playing drums for us for a while now and is doing an incredible job! We can realize a lot of our influences now! We all come from the Rush/Yes background, and are looking forward to pushing our limits with such a great drummer! And, Mark B., we had a great time hanging out with you also! Your an awsome bass player! Had fun bangin' away at "Natural Science" with you.

There's a link on our site to some of the new music if you interested
    [​IMG] Analog Missionary's Website

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    analog, are you the guy i took the F Bass away from ?

8. Analog

Analog

Aug 28, 2003
    Hey DonZ - I don't think I was the guy? I played guitar on a few songs - - I was one of the guitar guys.... Didn't play much bass.

Kevin

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hi;
    just got in from work...man that really interferes with posting here!

Thanks for checking it all out guys, and all the kind words and whatnot.

Kevin, Don is the one that I traded my F bass to; so Don, that would be Tony that is still cursing me for that deal...

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    where does one get them there anylog missionery
    little silve records at?

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm hoping we can get something set up thru cdbaby or whatever else is out there so we can sell direct off the net. For now, there's just a contact page on the site.

Here's a couple of the tunes from the Voyage of the Demeter soundtrack. These are the 'songs' from the project, the other tracks are more ambient/atmospheric/mood pieces.

soundtrack songs

"the secret race" features Tony's 12-string Grand Stick.
    "Mina's Letter" was recorded with a Pedulla Series fretless, something you don't see too often.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

sorry it took so long, there's one on its way now.

13. SyntaxError

SyntaxError

Sep 24, 2003
    two bald guys in one band? is that allowed?

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm pretty sure there's something in the Geneva Convention about that - note that Maynard wears a wig in A Perfect Circle.

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    just got the disk and am floored.

AM= rocktastic

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    glad you like it.
    We're having a lot of fun working on the new one.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Very nice! Melody and groove, cool!

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So, how's the new one coming?? Will it be similar to Transmitter or are you guys exploring different musical territory?

Oh, good luck with the show this weekend!!

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Thanks for asking; looks like were going more in a 'rawk' direction this time (you know, for kids...)
    Songs are still clocking in rather long, maybe we can address that eventually.

A couple songs will see their debut tomorrow night.
    Also throwing in Tom Sawyer to get the crowd going.
    We even jammed on a Johnny Cash songs a few nights ago. That was pretty dang fun, if a little outside of our oeuvre.
    Hoping we can get up your way soon.

Oh, and the site is undergoing a major rehaul (will take a little time) as we did a major promo shoot a few weekends ago. Looks like you'll have to deal with our ugly mugs a bit more.