1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analog phaser with rise and fall modes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FilterFunk, May 8, 2010.

1. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I know the Boss PH-3 and Digitech Hyper Phase have rise and fall modes, but they're both digital. I loved these modes on my Hyper Phase, but I wished it was warmer. Do any analog phasers have rise and fall modes, and are rise and fall essentially sawtooth waves in different directions?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Actually, the rise and fall modes aren't technically phasing at all. It's a frequency shifter (not pitch shifter) set with a very tiny amount of shift (also known as barber pole flanging). I don't believe there are any pedal frequency shifters of any type, but if there were they would be digital, because an analog frequency shifter is an enormous circuit.

You could quite easily have an analog phase shifter with a sawtooth LFO, however this wouldn't create the constantly rising or falling sound of the frequency shifter/barber pole flanger. It would rise for a bit and then you would hear the precise moment when it went back to the bottom of its sweep. You could fake it with 2 sawtooth waves anti-phase and then fade them back and forth with an auto-crossfade circuit, but this would again be a gigantic circuit.

That's the long answer. If you'd prefer a shorter answer and have some bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you could get a Bode Frequency Shifter. Not a pedal, very rare and quite expensive, but it does at least exist.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If only EHX would mix their Pulsar, Worm, and Stereo Polyphase into one great box with great QC that takes a standard 9 or 12V DC power supply with a dry blend and tap tempo...

...for under $250

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Better yet...why don't you do that, Conical Johnson?

An all-analog eventide modfactor killer

(or at least an option for those that want those effects in one unit)

I for one would love a cygnet and Xerograph in one unit (EBS TremoLo killer) but found that when I had an EHX Worm the 'manual' setting with phaser was amazing after my BMS and for looping.

I can do similar things with my Pigtronix EP-1 but the texture of both units are so different that it's not really even close to my ear.

Would love to entertain a custom order in the next couple of years but by then I hope you'd be producing these units.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    It's a great answer, and very much appreciated. So it's the huge circuit/huge cost thing that makes it impractical. I sort of got a rise/fall thing going with the sawtooth waves on my EHX Bi-Filter, but it did exactly what you said an analog sawtooth LFO would do.

6. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    Wow! Great answer Conical! Just another reason Talkbass is by far the best online community, bar none. :bassist: