1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

analog tape

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jimmyjames, May 18, 2011.

1. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    ok, not sure how to phrase this question but i am going to try..

not that long ago, maybe a year or 2, i had read an article that said that analog tape had stopped being produced and also ready that many producers and engineers were buying up what was left on the market... today i find out that they are still in production.

did i miss something? did i mix two different things up?

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    My guess is that article was written by someone who didn't know what they were talking about and/or made something up. ;) A quick Google search finds numerous sources for analog recording tape (as you noted).

3. Yup, analog tape is still alive and still fairly well. I'd say 75% of the bigger budget records I work on use it at some point, currently doing a big record thats all to tape!

Its a big decision and not one I'd recommend unless you have a couple of real tape users on board and a REAL understanding of the benefits/disadvantages, its a different discipline altogether!

Finding tape IS hard. Some of the better formulations have been discontinued and those are sought after these days. However there are still a few manafacturers producing good new tape. In the UK we have it a little harder as there's only one main developer which is RMGI, but you can always order from accross the pond of course. tape is expensive and VERY heavy, though, so thats a factor to work in.

4. I know of exactly two companies still making reel to reel analog tape, ATR and RMGi.

What are all these other sources you guys are talking about?

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There is still some use for digital tape for backups.
    Stored off site in a fireproof vault for the escrow.
    :)

6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Sorry, I didn't mean lots of "makers". More like lots of "sellers". I have no doubt there are only a couple of companies left actually manufacturing analog tape. I suspect Sony might still make tape cartridges for their AIT backup systems and maybe for DAT. Although they may have contracted it out.

7. A few other companies making tape are Jai Electronic Industries and Zonal Media. Real Deal Pro Audio is selling new Quantegy tape while supplies last, and Quantegy has future plans of making tape again.

8. Yeah, I too wasn't thinking makers rather distributors with stockpiles of tape. Got a few mates in the us with contacts for gp9 etc. Very hard to find over here! That said rmgi has been good for a while now after a few batches of bad stuff years ago, so seems to be reliable to buy thankfully!
    Nice to hear of some alternative companies as well!

9. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    There is new tape being manufactured. RMGI is an excellent manufacturer. I've bought 1/4" (equivalent to 456) from them before and was pleased.

10. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    There was a brief time when there was no tape being manufactured in the USA and some news sources were reporting on it as the end of an era. I'm not an expert, but there might not have actually been any lapse, not sure when ATR started, if they took over an existing factory or what.

11. The Foo Fighters just released their new cd, Wasting Light. All done on Analog.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I bet they just did it because they were bored.
    Analog tape isn't better. It's different.
    They won't make any money if they don't release digitally.
    Tape does add compression and odd harmonics when it's saturated. Musically pleasing but you can add them other ways.

Me, I'm an Leon Scott's phonautograph fan. No electronics at all! :D It started it all.

13. Butch Vig produced it. I don't think Dave Grohl choose to do it because he was bored........I'm sure he could find other things to do like write another classic, tour with the Foo Fighters, or Them Crooked Vultures, or, The Queens of the Stone Age.

He said he wanted to do it for the sound and the challenge.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    "and the challenge" sounds like boredom

15. Call it what you will. Recording on Pro Tools is one thing, but tape is a whole other beast. I don't think boredom would correlate to challenge if you asked the Foo Fighters. People don't improve themselves as players out of boredom.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Players don't improve themselves with the medium they chose to record with.

17. I'm not even going to entertain you with a response to that. I've read your other posts, and can see this turning into a pissing contest quick. You'll grow up some day.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's 2011 - get modern.

19. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's music, get the sound.

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004