Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Analog Video Camera --> Digital Computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My dad has a sony video camera from about 1995. It's still in really good shape and all the videos turn out well. The thing is, i'd like to take some videos of my bass playing and crap and put them on the internet ala youtube/video.google etc etc. My friend told me you can just get some special cable that hooks into your computer. Is there such a thing? Linkage? Thanks!

2. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm assuming it's an analog and not a digital camera.

If analog...

Just use the analog cables that came with the vid cam. There will be a red and white (or black) for audio. And a yellow one (or an s-video connector) for video.

Then you'll either have to buy either an internal/external video capture card for your PC.

If digital...

Your friend was prolly thinking about a firewire cable which is the easiest way to get the video off a video camera provided that it's *digital*.

All you need is a firewire interface on your computer, then anything like iMovie (on mac) or Windows Movie Maker (on windows xp)...both free...can download the video quite easily.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, it's analog. I have a TV Tuner in my computer with Red, White, and Yellow jacks. Can I use that?

4. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    depends. i'm sure you'll be able to monitor the video. whether you can capture the video depends on the software that came with your TV Tuner card. I'd be surprised if it didn't have capture software.

Also, check out the free Windows Movie Maker software that comes included with XP. It might be able to recognize the TV Tuner card and capture the video as well.

5. There are USB video capture devices for $50 and up. I have no idea about quality of the captures though.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What i've ended up doing is plugging my video camera (via yellow and white AV cables) into the back of my TV Tuner. I've used WinFast PVR (the program that came with the tuner) to capture it. Problem is, now when I play them in Windows Media Player, there's no sound.

7. Pinnacle Systems do a lot of great, yet cheap, easy to use capture cards that are very versitile.

8. As long as the software is there, yeah the RCA out jacks should run fine. Just don't use your computer monitor as the eye piece. You're going to have LOTS of latency, and watching the monitor is a good way to get your self off the beat. Use the viewfinder the entire time.

Rock on
    Eric