Analog Vs Digital

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cams_Anthem, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Analog (e.g, compact pedals "boss,ehx etc"

2. Digital Multi effects (POD, Gt5 etc

3. use both together

1. Whats your preference and why

Im new to effects but from what if bought and tried i think i like analog rather than digital multi effects, digital's great because you can change parameters and they are compact but i think analog has a better sound. What about mixing it up e.g., using a POD or Boss Multi effect with your single analog pedals??
  2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I've voted "both together". I don't know really - some analog pedals sounds a lot better than their digital cousins, but the flexibility of digital multi FX's and the "hands free" control ( if you have Midi ) is very important to me. Not just program changes but anything else you can do with the parameters while you're still playing. I can't take my hands away from my bass and bow down and tweak my pedals, like a guitar player. But if you're a "one sound type of guy" analog pedals might be the way to go.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use what sounds best. Generally, I've preferred analog pedals but at the end of the day if it sounds good I'm not that bothered - if it has true bypass, all the more so. If it doesn't have true bypass, it's probably going in an effects loop to keep it out of my signal chain when not in use.

BTW, Boss pedals aren't analog.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't care at all. I just use what sounds the best.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have found that I don't like the sound of most digital effects for bass. Some of the digital guitar multieffects are pretty decent. But by and large, if you want an effect that does XXXX, you will get the best results with a good analog pedal. And of course I prefer a true bypass.

The one digital bass effects processor that I like is the one integrated into the Peavey BAM amp. The only thing that I don't like about it is that you can only use one effect at a time. And you can't buy it separately, only in the BAM combo or the BAM head.
  6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I use each depending on its strengths.

First, let's divorce the term "digital" from old 8 and 12 bit 80s devices, and from Neil Young's 20 year old rant against first generation a/d and d/a converters. That dog no longer hunts.

For "gain" devices such as distortion, overdrive, wah, compression, and EQ, I typically prefer analog, though the RNC compressor is digital and surpasses just about every sub-$1000 compressor, analog or digital.

For "time" devices such as delay, chorus, reverb, or any other modulation effect, digital. Hands down. Programmable, no noise, real time changes, tap tempo, etc. No contest.