Analogman Clone Chorus is awsome

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by djshawn47, Jul 1, 2004.

1. I just received my Analogman Clone Chorus. I bought it unheard, I went on a whim based on opinions of others and I can honestly say that this is my favorite pedal on my board.

I have tested the Fulltone Choralflange and the T.C. electronics Chorus falanger as well as a few other obscure chorus pedals and the Analogman is for sure the best sounding chorus pedal for Bass.

If you are looking into purchasing this pedal make sure you but it with the “Deep Option” ( I got the one with the 3 position toggle switch for “deep”, “normal”, and “thin”).

The clone chorus is only a chorus so you cant get as many sounds out of it like you would a chorus/flanger but the chorus is much more natural and lush sounding than any of the other pedals I tried. The pedal really holds the true low end sound of the bass unlike the other pedals.

The other pedals struck me as having more “effect” but they sound more like a synthesizer rather than the true sound of my bass with a chorus effect on top of it.

One way I can kind of describe the difference between the clone and the other chorus pedals, would be to use the example of an Electro Harmonicz “Qtron” Vs. the EBS “Bass IQ”. The other pedals being more like the Q tron and the clone chorus more like the Bass IQ. The Q tron has a very greasy effect and you can put a lot of effect on your bass, but you lose a lot of the tone and bottom end, where as the Bass IQ isn’t quite as greasy but has enough grease mixed with most of your low end to produce a very balanced sounding filter.

So if you are more of a Q-tron than a Bass IQ type of person then you probably will like the Fulltone choralfalange over the clone but I personally like the overall sound and balance of the clone………mainly because I believe it is much more usable and practical in a live setting.

My pedal board consists of the following: Peterson Strobo stomp tuner--------EBS BassIQ---------EBS Octabass------------Analogman Clone Chorus-----------Fulltone Bass Drive----------------Austone Fuzz Nutz
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My guitarist swears by his! I've been meaning to try his with my bass
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I love my clone chorus. I had the Fulltone, TC and EBS, and the AnalogMan blew them all away in my opinion.
    The EBS was fine, if a little thin sounding. I had the same issue with the TC. The ChoralFlange was great, but I wasn't using the flanger so it was overkill for my needs.
    You can get the deep option as a switch if you want, I have it hardwired and have no complaints!
  4. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Interesting, thanks for the review. I have the EBS but don't typically use it on my pedalboard, somewhat for the reasons you cited... also in general I don't find chorus/flange effects much to my liking for bass. But I think I'll check out the clone chorus, that may change if it really does preserve more low end with my rig

Here's a Q for ya: my pedalboard has several of the same pedals in your signal chain above... though I use a Wooly Mammoth in place of the Fuzz Nutz. Any chance you've compared the Fuzz Nutz to the Mammoth, or to the Frantone Lo-Tone (the other fuzz pedal I use on occasion)? If not... howz the Fuzz Nutz sound compared to the Bassdrive?

Edit: oops... just searched (after asking the question, of course) and see that you were asking the same question a couple weeks ago... so just in case you've found a Mammoth since then...

FWIW, I find the Mammoth to be very cool... very useful fuzz (which to me means synth-type sounds). Place a Bass-IQ or wah after it, and you can get some wild (and very useful / musical) sounds.
  5. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Is the clone chorus a modded copy of the electro harmonix small clone?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. I haven’t actually played with the Wooly mammoth, that was actually the pedal I was originally looking at but I decided against it for two reasons (I still really want one).

1. It was not designed for active basses and Zachary told me that I would be disappointed with it (he said it would sound way too compressed) if I didn’t own a passive bass…I play an MTD535 and it has really hot electronics. All though most pedals are not designed to be used with active basses, most of them handle the active pickups and electronics, but the wooly mammoth is not one of them.

2. A friend and music dealer who plays with every pedal that comes into his store, has done studio work w/ the wooly mammoth (he said it sounded great), and gigs regularly told me not to get it because although it is the “BEST SOUNDING FUZZ PEDAL EVER”, it causes so much feed back in a live setting (he said he used both active and passive basses) that it was useless too him. I haven’t done any recording, and I would only use it in a live setting so I decided against it. He insisted that the pedal was useless in a live setting and he offered to bring it into the store if I ever wanted to try it. I wonder if anyone else has comments on gigging with the Wooly Mammoth????

To answer your question in regards to the Fuzz Nutz Vs. the BassDrive…….they are night and day pedals. The bass drive produces very nice warm (classic) overdrive; where as the Fuzz Nutz is all out distortion fuzz Armageddon mayhem. The bassdrive would definitely be a more practical and applicable pedal, but you can get some really cool tones out of the Fuzz Nutz and the Nutz knob is what keeps the low end of your bass which is why it is so great for bass…… I like both of them a lot. They are very very different pedals.
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree - I have used it with an on-board preamp engaged and it's still useful, though you do need to 'turn it down', basically. The Mammoth does seem to prefer a lower gain input signal.

Interesting, I haven't had occasion to use it live yet as I recently got it. Soudns like you oughtta take your friend up on his offer and A-B the Fuzz Nutz and Mammoth, then let us all know how it turned out! :D FWIW, I still have to A-B the Lo-Tone and Mammoth in a live setting, but am thinking I like the Mammoth for it's out-there quality... I'm more going for a synth-type sound, which I get from fuzz + envelope, than for a pin-your-ears back tone.

Interesting... to my ears, the Bassdrive in Boost mode can sound pretty 'mayhemic' if you crank it up... the Guzz Nutz even moreso, huh?
  9. You are right. The Bass Drive can get pretty gnarly when you crank it, especially if you throw 18 volts into it, but it definitely does not compare to the Fuzz Nutz when it comes to all out distortion chaos………..I play this Mark King style slap line with the Fuzz Nutz “CRANKED” and it sounds like thrash metal, mosh pit heaven….its really cool.

Who’d thought that you get Mark King to sound like old school Sepultura!!!!!!!!