1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analogman large 3 knob Comrossor. Good for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by synthesaur, Jul 7, 2014.

1. synthesaur

synthesaur

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi guys,
    A friend of mine is selling this pedal for a good price. Has anyone used it with bass guitar?

comp2007.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    So I have the AnalogMan mini bi-comp and I use it on bass a fair amount. The Ross side less than the orange Squeezer side. I think mike makes great compressors but Bongo's thoughts on Ross's in general does apply here. You can get some great tones but you lose some low end. Since 1/2 of the bicomp is the same as the large 3 knob compressor (attack is a trim pot on the inside) the thoughts should apply.

They are also not quite as quiet as say a Diamond compressor or MarkBass.

But I do love mine. The mini bicomp sits on my guitar board and I love it there. I power mine at 18v and it sounds even better.

3. synthesaur

synthesaur

Nov 16, 2013
    Alright, thank you.
    I read about a cut of the lows and highs on these pedals.
    This is the first time I am getting a pedal, and I thought a compressor would be a good start.
    I want it to be the right thing that will last :)

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/analogman.shtml

I should have linked this over right away. His comments on the Ross side are relevant to you. I think he's a little harsh when he says that it is "useless" on bass. It is one of the better Ross clones out there - and Bongo's own Smoothie compressor is based on the Ross design (ohhh the irony....I actually still have trouble believing this).

Depending on the price, you can probably do better for bass. If I were getting my first bass compressor, I would probably target a Diamond, Empress or MarkBass compressor.

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    +1 to the recommendation of Bongo's reviews. Well worth the time to read them, OP! Better to save up and get the compressor that will do what you want, than buy a bargain just because it's cheap.

I own a Markbass Compressore and would recommend it (seconding Mosfed, above). You've got the full set of compression parameters on it, which most pedals don't. You can play around with each of them separately and hear what they do to the sound. Just received a Smoothie and like it very much. I posted comments about it in the Smoothie thread, if it's of interest. I think it's a great choice for a first compressor because of the ability to blend dry (uncompressed) signal in with the compressed signal. You can really hear what compression does to your tone and dynamics, as you play around with those controls. I was gushing about the Smoothie because I've never had a compressor with that feature, and it lets me get the benefit of compression without losing the dynamics of my touch on the strings.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just to clarify a little:
    There are several other Ross types on the market that do not lose nearly as much low end as the Analogman. Wampler and Xotic SP are two popular examples. On the specific point of cutting off the low end, the Analogman cuts off more lows than most others of its kind--no matter how good or great it is in any other parameter.

This actually illustrates pretty well another point in my review of the Analogman: it was designed not for fidelity to the input signal, but instead for fidelity to the original tonal effect of the vintage Ross circuit. Others, including the Smoothie, were designed with totally different audio goals, even though the same basic type of core circuit element was used.

Each is a good tool for a specific job; i recommend the Analogman highly for people who don't need a lot of low end.

Mosfed likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    And I should be clear - I placed an order for a Smoothie so I have no issue or beef with it whatsoever. The idea of Bongo making a compressor is enough for me to buy blind. Nothing but respect for your work.

8. synthesaur

synthesaur

Nov 16, 2013
    Just another question about pedal compressors.
    For instance, TLC compressor has a knob with set 10-100 attack...
    I find that in old dub/reggae music the bass does not have much attack.
    It weaves a lazy, yet well shaped pattern behind the beat without creating "flam" with other percussive instruments.
    I wouldn't like a pedal that would help to achieve that smooth "no attack" vibe when needed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The main source of that note attack is in the fingers--or thumb. That soft, fat, round sound is achieved by plucking close to the neck, using the soft pad of your finger or thumb. To "help" in that direction with a compressor, you would want to use the shortest attack time possible, so the compression hits full strength right away.

10. synthesaur

synthesaur

Nov 16, 2013
    Very good. But is there a zero attack option? Or is it always present? Just curious.

11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    In compressor lingo, attack refers to the time it takes for unit to respond to a signal over the threshold. 1 millisecond is a quick response; 100 ms is relatively slow, for instance.

OP, if I read your starter post correctly, you're just starting to learn about compressors, yeah? This will be helpful to understanding how they do what they do, and that knowledge will help you find a compressor that does what you like!

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/howto.shtml

12. synthesaur

synthesaur

Nov 16, 2013
    I am familiar with the concept. Although I've used software compressors only. On software you can dial to zero so that no uncompressed signal gets through.
    the question is: do pedal compressors have that capability?
    Because, in the TLC example the shortest attack is 10ms. not 0.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014