1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analysis Plus Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Apr 26, 2010.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Which one id you try and what was the "B" to your "A" ?
    -just out of interest:)

2. de·tract (d-trkt)
    v. de·tract·ed, de·tract·ing, de·tracts
    v.tr.
    1. To draw or take away;

If there is any effect on the sound, it is caused by losses in the cable, its internal connections or the connections between the cable and the amp.

That is what I mean by detract. It is not possible for the cable to add anything. That is what I mean. And if you think that is snake oil, please yourself, that's physics mate. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see if your guys who believe this cable hype would notice a difference if someone changed the cable without you noticing it had been changed.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Mr Mohawk is entirely correct here. The only way a cable can make a difference to how your bass sounds is its electrical properties, which are easily measured. These electrical properties should ideally have values that mean the signal at one end of the cable is identical to what reaches the other end. Any good quality cable will meet this requirement as far as audible results are concerned.

If a cable changes the way your signal sounds as it passes through, then it's distorting the signal, by definition. It might be that you like the distortion introduced in this way - but it's still distortion and I personally would rather choose cables that don't do this. I also think it would be a mistake to refer to such a cable as "higher quality" than one that doesn't do this, even if you prefer cables that have such an effect.

I personally like to use cables that are well constructed using wire and components that will reliably pass the signal from one end to the other without distorting it. I would rather use a well designed EQ to adjust my signal than have a cable removing some frequencies from it in a noticeable way, which is the only way any of the snake oil cables can possibly have any effect on what you hear when compared to pretty much any standard cable that is capable of transferring your signal with no distortion.

4. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ha. Whatever. I guess this thread is pointless now. I know what i heard. I used a monster vs and analysis plus just for the record. Also used some no name cable. The Analysis Plus sounded better. Wasnt some big huge drastic difference, but it did. Fact. So regardless of your physics and what not, you can be wrong, bc you are. Screw physics, im a musician, i use my ears, not a book, and i know what was heard. Is the cable worth 100 bucks? Probably not, but there was a noticeable difference, and Ill stick by it, especially considering you havent even actually used one. Thanks though.

5. Wow, you have an amazing view of the world.

And read what I've been saying, your cables are taking something away from your sound. But if that makes you happy, fair enough.

Oh, and considering that because we understand physics and electronics it is possible to produce amplifiers, pickups and whatnot, yeah, screw it I R MUSICIAN HARHARHAR *clap* *clap*.

Also, I'm as picky as the next guy when it comes to sound. I just like to know what's going on under the hood.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Wow. Let's hear it for the public education system of Michigan!! CLAP CLAP CLAP. Yay.

7. Know what would be awesome, you should get another one of these cables, cut it up, and use it to replace the cables inside your bass and the wiring within your amp, make your setup proper rocking :bassist:

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You're simply proving what the guys posting here have been saying. Monster is notorious for high-frequency loss, and your no-name cable, well, is probably a cheaper cable. Comparing any good cable to Monster or cheap cable is not going to be a good test of the cable.

What they are saying is, compared to good cable, you will not be able to tell your AP cable from the rest, good quality being Mogami or Canare level. IF your AP cable is a good quality cable, then it would not detract from the sound, and sound exactly like Mogami / Canare, yet cost 5-10 times more.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Asssuming the placebo effect isn't in operation, I accept that the cable may have sounded different, or "better" in a way that you preferred - for exactly the reasons I stated in my previous post.

As far as I know, physics isn't something you can opt out of. By all means use your ears, but you could also try using what their auditory nerves connect them to. ;)

10. I dont know about the no name cable brand, but werent the monster "bass" cables designed to "boost bass" (well, as we know they couldnt do that, they were just bleeding off the treble).

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Just high capacitance and not letting through the top end, I recon...
    As always...I may be wrong.

12. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    IME cables make a difference. There seems to be two basic schools of thought here. Nothing makes a difference, wood, cable, etc., or everything makes a difference, frets, wood, power cable etc.

Some of us are willing to pay more for perceived differences, whether or not such differences are scientifically measurable. Boston Acoustics, the hi-fi loudspeaker company used to test tweeters by human listening. If the test tone sounded harsh, the tweeter was trashed. At the time in the 80s, it was way more reliable than what could be measured. Measurement has probably improved now, but at the end of the day performance and value remains a subjective thing. We can argue all we want. I say, if you can hear it, it exists. If you can hear a difference that is not worth the price, then, make your own decision.

13. You've missed the point we are getting at entirely.

Cables do make a difference to the sound, but that difference is a loss in fidelity from the original signal. A quality cable will have minimal losses. These "audiophile" grade cables play on the mind rather than the ears.

And for what it's worth, wood makes a difference, so does the fretting material. The power cable, as long as it's sufficient to carry the current, won't make a difference. (Heck, do you think the power cables in your walls are £100+ per meter cable and designed by audiophiles?)

What we hear is our perception of sound. This is open to influence from other factors. Hence a variety of placebo effect.

And the problem with testing tweeters for "harshness" is that each person who tests it will have a slightly different perception of harshness.

14. amazing how you got from here....

bill brings up an interesting point.....while the difference in perceived sound quality may be pleasing to the op's ear,it may be because the cable is not doing what it's supposed to as easily as the inverse.....some guys like the sound of a cheap amp cranked better than an expensive boutique job,but that does not mean the cheapo is somehow better

to here.......if you're just going to dump on the opinions you solicit,why ask

15. The OP likes to hear what he wants to hear. He has his own opinion formed before he actually hears anything.

That could be said to have a dual meaning here :p

16. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ha please dont insult my education, i wouldn't want to embarass you

17. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I accept and listen to what everybody is saying, but, I have my own opinion, and im entitled to just as you are. I heard a difference, and im not the only one. You can say what you want, i can say what i want, but I heard a difference. I have no plan to go out and buy one of these, but you never know. Was simply getting peoples thoughts, from people who have used them, not people who think they are some joke and a rip off, because you havent tried them. But thanks though

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Just wondering.
    Who, of the ones that have posted in this thread and voiced an opinion on them have actually tried these cables?
    Hands up...mine is :)

19. While almost all cables sound identical to me with my active basses (some cables can sound a bit different with passive basses due to capacitance, etc.), I still like to check out high quality cables (I don't know why... I guess its like guys and gals who buy expensive watches... they don't tell time any better, they are just cool).

I purchased the 'bass' version quite a while back and ended up hating it, because it was so huge and heavy. My gosh, that cable must have been 5 pounds! It sounded fine of course, and the quality was amazing (by quality, I mean the physical contruction... the quality of the cable covering, the HUGE connectors, etc.). However, it was a bit silly... the 12 foot or whatever I had weighed about as much as my amp:D

I wouldn't bother myself, but I found nothing wrong (nor special) with the sound of it versus my Georgle L's, Tara Lab, Mogami, Klotz, and all the other stuff I bought for no good reason!

My favorite cable at this point is the Klotz TM Stevens, sold by Sadowksy. It of course sounds like the others, but is super lightweight, and has a nice rubbery coating that doesn't tangle up, and very high quality but small and lightweight connectors. Nice cable IMO, and not stupid pricey.

IMO, IME, IMO, IME!

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LOL you are the only one insulting your education here. Each post brings shame to whatever school let you graduate.